The Burton game remains Carrick's only appearance so far this season but the club captain is thought to be targeting United's final Champions League game at home to CSKA Moscow on Tuesday week for his comeback.
Carrick had a procedure called Cardiac Ablation after tests revealed he had an irregular heart rhythm and hasn't featured in a match day squad since United's win over Southampton on September 23.
He is back in training now, looking to build up his fitness ahead of a return in time for the busy festive football schedule.
"To make the decision he wants to play, he wants to stop (and take a break)".
'He knows from me and my coaching staff we have a chair for him, if he wants, when he wants. When he wants the chair, it is there in the office for him.
Last night he posted on Twitter: "I just want to clear up my situation as I've had a few people asking if I'm ok and why I haven't been fit over the last couple of fits". His future will be with us. One more option for us.
Mourinho showed his support for the 36-year-old - who's contract expires in the summer - after his team's 1-0 win over Brighton on Saturday and insisted he will have a future at Old Trafford in the backroom when he decides to hang up his boots.
After feeling unusual during the second half of the Burton game in September, I underwent a series of tests. Carrick later admitted that he felt "strange" in the second half against the Championship side.
I would like to reassure everyone that I'm healthy and back training hard with the team.
The England midfielder says he was "monitored closely" and "aiming to be back in contention for selection soon".
Carrick made his debut for West Ham United in 1999, joining Tottenham Hotspur and then United in 2006.
- Small Business Saturday focuses on locally-owned stores
- Chain Match 2: Talib and Crabtree fight after chain snatch
- Amazon Echo Show - the first Echo with a display
- Thanksgiving, Black Friday online sales soar to record highs
- Local firefighters offer several Christmas tree safety tips
- Arizona State fires coach Todd Graham after six seasons
- This Father's 21st birthday message for his daughter will break your heart
- New Formula One logo receives criticism
- Triple J moves Hottest 100 to January 27
- Luke named permanent coach for Ole Miss