The former Miss South Africa was held at gunpoint just one month after being crowned and has now gone on to win the new crown.
Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters cries after she was announced as the new Miss Universe at the Miss Universe pageant Sunday, Nov. 26, 2017, in Las Vegas. She is the second woman from her home country to earn the crown. It was the toughest fight ever in the competition's history, which this year counted its most contestants ever.
The 21-year-old Bennett was among 92 contestants vying for the crown.
When asked what quality she could bring to Miss Universe, she said her confidence and helping help women overcome their fears. Nel-Peters, a graduate in business management, said her disabled half-sister has been among her great inspirations.
Answering the same question, Miss Jamaica, Davina Bennett, said: "Sexual harassment is a form of abuse, and no abuse should be tolerated whether in the workplace or in society". "And Miss Universe is a woman that has overcome many fears, and by that, she is able to help other women overcome their fears".
Miss South Africa was crowned Miss Universe. "I think we should have equal work for equal pay for women all over the world".
"You feel so empowered because you are on a stage with 91 other women that are strong, that are independent, that have worked really hard", she said.
Host Steve Harvey poked fun at his 2015 botched Miss Universe crowning throughout the night.
- Rangers reach deal with veteran righty Fister
- Melania Trump didn't want to be first lady
- Mesut Ozil to miss Huddersfield Town match through illness
- Flynn's lawyers no longer sharing information with Trump's legal team
- Amazon Sumerian Is A Web-Based VR Programming Tool For AWS
- Jignesh Mevani to contest in Gujarat polls from Vadgam as independent
- Some Google Chromebook users still can't access the new Microsoft Office apps
- More than 150 women report sex assault incidents at Massage Envy spas
- Bengaluru Woman Says She is Late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's Daughter
- AC Milan sack head coach Vincenzo Montella, replace him with Gennaro Gattuso