Milan tweeted Monday that it "parted ways" with Montella and that "management of the first team is entrusted to Gennaro Gattuso".
Vincenzo Montella has been dismissed as Milan manager after a disappointing start to the season which has seen the Rossoneri slip to seventh place in Serie A.
Gattuso was hired as the Primavera coach this past summer and according to Sky Sport Gattuso agreed to have a special clause in his contract that allowed him to take over at the club in case of Montella's sacking. The decision comes after they were held to a goalless draw by Torino at the weekend.
Milan's first game under Gattuso will be a Serie A tie away at Benevento and all eyes will be on the fiery former midfielder when he sits in the dugout.
There is also mounting speculation in Italy that Milan will not be admitted to either the Champions League or the Europa League due to alleged financial irregularities over the takeover of the club last April.
- Voting For Second Phase Begins In 25 Districts
- Sri Lank in need of miracle to save Nagpur Test
- Plenty more Hollywood predators out there, says Susan Sarandon
- UND prepares for NCAA Tournament match against Minnesota
- Rams and Jared Goff hold off Saints to become true playoff contenders
- Las Vegas massacre survivor killed in hit-and-run tragedy seven weeks later
- Triple J moves Hottest 100 to January 27
- Oppo A79 Bezel-less Smartphone Launched| Oppo A79 Specs, Features
- Barca Stars Slam Officials For Disallowed Messi Goal
- Morgan Is The Walking Dead Crossover Character