Milan tweeted Monday that it "parted ways" with Montella and that "management of the first team is entrusted to Gennaro Gattuso".
Vincenzo Montella has been dismissed as Milan manager after a disappointing start to the season which has seen the Rossoneri slip to seventh place in Serie A.
Gattuso was hired as the Primavera coach this past summer and according to Sky Sport Gattuso agreed to have a special clause in his contract that allowed him to take over at the club in case of Montella's sacking. The decision comes after they were held to a goalless draw by Torino at the weekend.
Milan's first game under Gattuso will be a Serie A tie away at Benevento and all eyes will be on the fiery former midfielder when he sits in the dugout.
There is also mounting speculation in Italy that Milan will not be admitted to either the Champions League or the Europa League due to alleged financial irregularities over the takeover of the club last April.
- Rams and Jared Goff hold off Saints to become true playoff contenders
- Destiny 2 Director Teases Upcoming Update and Economy Changes
- Bengaluru Woman Says She is Late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's Daughter
- Melania Trump didn't want to be first lady
- 'Bhoom Bhoom Afridi' chants as Dhoni attends Indian army tourney in Kashmir
- Sri Lank in need of miracle to save Nagpur Test
- Michael Carrick Will Be Offered A Coaching Role By Man Utd
- Jignesh Mevani to contest in Gujarat polls from Vadgam as independent
- House Of Cards work stoppage extended till Dec 8
- Vote For Any Candidate That Can Defeat The BJP, Appeals Arvind Kejriwal