This morning Trump tweeted a scathing attack on Moore's Democratic rival, Doug Jones, calling him a "Schumer/Pelosi puppet who is WEAK on Crime, WEAK on the border", the Hill reports. "Forty years is a long time", Trump said, pointing to the amount of time that has passed since the alleged behavior.
I endorsed Luther Strange in the Alabama Primary. Another, Beverly Young Nelson, said during a press conference that Moore attempted to sexually assault her when she was a 16-year-old waitress. Tim Scott, R-S.C., said on ABC's "This Week", adding that Republicans need "to turn the page" on Moore's candidacy.
Trump himself has stood by Moore in the wake of the allegations.
The Senate race has taken on even greater effect as the Senate gears up for consideration of a massive tax-cut plan in which Republicans can afford to lose just two of the 52 members of McConnell's caucus.
"The last thing we need in Alabama and the U.S. Senate is a Schumer/Pelosi puppet who is WEAK on Crime, WEAK on the Border, Bad for our Military and our great Vets, Bad for our 2nd Amendment, AND WANTS TO RAISES TAXES TO THE SKY", Trump posted Sunday, referring to the Democratic leadership of Rep. Nancy Pelosi and Sen.
Moore earned his first de facto endorsement from Trump last Tuesday.
Moore has denied most of the allegations, and has so far resisted calls from dozens of GOP lawmakers and officials to withdraw from the Alabama Senate race.
One Republican senator and sometime Trump critic, Lindsey Graham of SC, said Sunday that having Moore on the ballot was a lose-lose proposition for the party. In fact, he tweeted 17 times to try and help odd defeat Roy Moore, even traveling to Alabama to campaign for him.
"The moral of the story is don't nominate someone like Roy Moore who can actually lose the seat any other Republican could win", the South Carolina Republican told anchor Dana Bash. "I can tell you one thing for sure: We don't need a liberal person in there, a Democrat", Trump told reporters. In his first extensive remarks on the matter this week, Trump emphasized that the Alabama Republican had denied the women's claims and asserted that he did not want a Democrat to win the Senate race.
- Kushal Tandon DEFENDS Beyhadh co-star Piyush Sahdev on his rape charges
- Avatar therapy 'reduces power of schizophrenia voices'
- England batsman Jonny Bairstow investigated by European Central Bank
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Tottenham v West Brom
- CBI helping Shivarj Singh Chouhan, acting as govt's 'puppet' in Vyapam scam
- Israeli Health Minister Litzman resigns over Shabbat train work
- 5 dead including 3 children as stolen vehicle hits tree
- Trump rips CNN again, but this time, CNN blasted him right back
- Former Glee actor Naya Rivera arrested
- Kim Kardashian West is Getting Involved in Cyntonia Brown's Legal Case