While Qatar is also a member of the Islamic anti-terror coalition, there are no Doha officials at the summit amid a diplomatic crisis between the Arab state with some of its neighbors, primarily Saudi Arabia, which broke off ties with the country this June, accusing it of supporting terrorism and interfering in their internal affairs.
"This meeting is very important, we haven't had good co-ordination between each other, today that lack of communication ends because of this coalition", said Prince Mohammed, speaking at the launch.
Critics have warned that Islamabad's participation could upset the country's minority Shi'ite community and undermine bilateral relations with Iran, which shares a almost 1,000-kilometer border with Pakistan. Qatar, which signed up to the coalition upon its inception in December 2015, did not attend the meeting, with Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries boycotting the country over its links to extremist groups.
"All individual states are making efforts against the menace of terrorism, but the required level of synergy and resources is lacking", he said at the inaugural meeting of the coalition's ministers of defence in Riyadh, according to a statement issued by Pakistan's ministry of defence.
Military coalition will 'chase terrorism until it disappears', says Saudi Crown Prince
"Today, we will chase it until terrorism has disappeared from the face of the earth", Prince Salman said.
He vowed to stop terrorist groups from distorting the true image of Islam and its values.
Since his sudden appointment as crown prince, Prince Mohammed has moved to consolidate power, announcing crackdowns on both terrorism and corruption.
The coalition's formation specifically has been the focus of debate in Pakistan after former Pakistani military chief Raheel Sharif was appointed as IMCTC's first commander.
A corruption purge saw around 200 Saudi elites including princes, ministers and business tycoons arrested or sacked earlier this month.
- NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI) Receives Average Recommendation of "Hold" from Brokerages
- Pep Guardiola hails his free-scoring Manchester City side
- Former Glee actor Naya Rivera arrested
- Adobe: Record $1.5bn spent on Thanksgiving afternoon
- Miss World 2017 Manushi Chillar looks unrecognisable in this old viral video
- The Flossbach Von Storch AG Raises Stake in Marathon Oil Co. (MRO)
- Harden helps Rockets storm back to beat Knicks
- Avatar therapy 'reduces power of schizophrenia voices'
- Veteran 'Nebraska', actor Rance Howard dead
- 5 dead including 3 children as stolen vehicle hits tree