Armenia global Mkhitaryan started the season in impressive form, supplying five assists in United's opening three Premier League matches before scoring in the 4-0 win over Everton in September.
However, the 28-year-old has suffered a dip in form while the returns from injury of Paul Pogba, Marouane Fellaini and Zlatan Ibrahimovic have seen Mkhitaryan slip out of contention.
"He started well this season but his performance levels, goalscoring, assists, high pressing, bringing the team with him as number 10, were decreasing step by step", added Mourinho.
"That was enough [to be dropped] because the others worked to have a chance". Marcus (Rashford) did not have a happy match at all. Everybody works to have a chance.
Ibrahimovic will be on the bench again when Manchester United host Brighton in the league
"I think they give what they can".
The good news is that he can continue building on this performance and fans may not have been thrilled but they were respectable to him.
Yet, as we've discovered in the past week, it's not as easy as simply putting them on the pitch and expecting them to flourish together.
"They played really well, they had a good defensive organisation and then when they had the ball they were unsafe". He has more minutes on the pitch.
"For us Brighton, Watford and Arsenal is a very important week but let's focus on Brighton, ninth in the table, good team, hard to beat, don't concede many goals, has a mix of physicality, aggression, quality creativity and I think Chris [Hughton] is doing a great job". They have different kinds of qualities.
- Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC)
- Military coalition will 'chase terrorism until it disappears', says Saudi Crown Prince
- Granville small businesses embraced by community
- NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI) Receives Average Recommendation of "Hold" from Brokerages
- Kushal Tandon DEFENDS Beyhadh co-star Piyush Sahdev on his rape charges
- Pelosi Defends Clinton, Conyers, Franken; Attacks Trump, Calls Moore 'a Child Molester'
- England batsman Jonny Bairstow investigated by European Central Bank
- Trump continues to implicitly endorse alleged sex molester Roy Moore
- PEMRA allows TV channels to resume transmission, social media remain suspended
- Day charges ahead at Australian Open