Russia's military plans to reduce its involvement in Syria this year as it nears the completion of its goals there, chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov has said.
He said that the Sudanese and Russian sides asserted that the cooperation between the two countries was launched in the fields of oil and natural gas exploration.
Moscow has announced that the fight against the IS will possibly be over by the end of this year when Russian Federation would withdraw its air forces.
Having helped Assad's government reach the cusp of victory, Putin now appears to be playing the leading role in worldwide efforts to end the war on Assad's terms.
According to the president's press secretary, the meeting, Putin had prior to that with Syria's President Bashar Assad, "made a very big input in the rather successful result of the recent meeting in Sochi".
Putin and Assad met in Sochi earlier in the week, discussing their future plans for the country, moving from conducting military operations to a political solution to Syria's conflict.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Iran's President Hassan Rouhani stated in a joint statement issued after their summit on Wednesday that they would continue to cooperate actively in order to restore peace and stability in Syria, as stated in The UN Security Council Decree number 2254.
Syrian opposition groups, meeting in Saudi Arabia to seek a unified position ahead of peace talks, chose to stick to their demand that Assad leave power, Al Arabiya television reported, following speculation they might soften their stance after their hardline leader quit. "We have agreed with the two other (opposition) branches to send a united delegation to participate in the direct negotiations in Geneva", Bassma Kodmani, a member of the Syrian opposition's High Negotiations Committee (HNC), told reporters in Riyadh.
HNC chief Riyad Hijab had been known as an uncompromising defender of the position that Assad must have no role in any political transition for Syria, and his resignation had led to speculation the opposition could soften its stance. The HNC and its allies have insisted that Assad step down before the start of a transitional phase to end the Syrian war.
- Veteran 'Nebraska', actor Rance Howard dead
- 33 migrants die in Libya boat capsize
- Black Friday shoppers were out early in Findlay
- Sindhu eases into Hong Kong Open semis
- Pep Guardiola hails his free-scoring Manchester City side
- HMD Global starts rolling out Android 8.0 Oreo update to Nokia 8
- Trump rips CNN again, but this time, CNN blasted him right back
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho: 'Everyone to be blame for Basel defeat'
- Alabama's Collin Sexton Drops 40 Points Leading 3-Man Team Vs Minnesota
- Iran warns Europe: We can increase missile range