The Wall Street Journal reports that Mueller's team is probing Kushner's involvement in the controversy surrounding a United Nations resolution passed in December 2016 that condemned Israeli settlement construction.
The UNSC then cast 14 votes with one USA abstention for a resolution saying that Israeli settlements in the disputed territories liberated in 1967, including eastern Jerusalem, have "no legal validity" and demanding a halt to "all Israeli settlement activities", saying this "is essential for salvaging the two-state solution".
The UN Security Council (UNSC) passed the resolution due to a US' abstention. The issue was particularly politically charged because of Obama's friction with the pro-Israel world and the presumption at the time that any USA administration would shield Israel from resolutions running counter to its policies.
As part of the flurry of diplomatic efforts, senior Israeli officials apparently contacted Kushner, who is Trump's son-in-law, as well as Stephen Bannon, another senior Trump aide, and others to see if the incoming president could intervene to torpedo the December 23 resolution.
The Trump team's opposition was well known at the time. "They used to have a great friend in the USA, but.", Trump wrote.
While Kushner held discussions with the officials, then-President-elect Trump urged the Obama administration to veto the United Nations resolution.
Jared Kushner's name has become a fixture in the sweeping Russian Federation probe in recent weeks.
The scion of a wealthy New York-New Jersey developer, Kushner's ties to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu predate his White House role.
The Washington Post reported earlier this year that Mueller was looking into the Kushner's business dealings and finances.
Mueller's investigators are also looking into Kushner's role in setting up meetings and communication with foreign leaders during Trump's transition, according to the Journal.
The comments came after a Senate panel said Kushner was not full forthcoming in providing info requested for their own investigation into Russian meddling.
- Nick Cave playing Israel shows to "take a stand" against censorship
- German police present stolen John Lennon diaries
- You are what you drink
- Joe Morgan urges voters to keep steroid users out of Cooperstown
- Paul Millsap Is Out Indefinitely After Opting To Get Wrist Surgery
- US, Israel Could be Plotting to Disintegrate Saudi Arabia by 2030
- India says support at ICJ reflective of 'respect for constitutional integrity'
- Closings and garbage for Thanksgiving week
- Natalie Portman says she has '100 stories about sexual harassment in Hollywood'
- Irish foreign minister: United Kingdom has "no credible answers" over future of border