The next step to Canton is the semifinalists to be narrowed to 18 finalists in January.
Both Dawkins and Owens were eligible previous year, but neither made past the final cut. Owens ranks eighth in receptions with 1,078, third in touchdown receptions with 153 and fifth in touchdowns scored with 156 on the NFL's all-time lists. He has the second-most receiving yards in National Football League history, third-most receiving touchdowns and eighth-most receptions. After being drafted out of Tennessee-Chattanooga in the third round in 1996, Owens went to six Pro Bowls and was an All-Pro selection five times.
Will the Dallas Cowboys have another Hall of Famer in the 2018 class? Owens, like Dawkins, was a finalist for the Class of 2017.
The election for the class of 2018 will be held February 3 in Minneapolis which is the day before the Super Bowl. The results will be announced that night.
Per the Hall's bylaws, between four and eight new Hall of Famers will be selected each year. To be elected, a finalist must get a minimum of 80 percent of the votes cast by the selection panel.
None of the quarterbacks on the Class of 2018 nominee list made semifinalist status. Running back Roger Craig, who spent his last two seasons in Minnesota, is a semifinalist for the 10th consecutive year.
Wide receivers: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss*, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Hines Ward.
Defensive linemen: E Leslie O'Neal, E Simeon Rice, E/T Richard Seymour*.
Linebackers: Ray Lewis, Karl Mecklenburg, Brian Urlacher.
Defensive backs: S Steve Atwater, CB/S Ronde Barber*, S LeRoy Butler, S Brian Dawkins, CB Ty Law, S John Lynch, CB Everson Walls.
Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group.
- Check Out These New STAR WARS
- Stock Seesawing Amidst Rampant Activity: Signet Jewelers Limited (NYSE:SIG)
- Mueller asks Justice Department to hand over documents about Comey's firing
- City bus photobombs Georgia Dome implosion
- Fans praise Declan Donnelly for joking about Ant McPartlin's rehab stint
- Suspected New York Bike Path Attacker Charged
- Tyronn Lue doesn't want to hear about LeBron's minutes
- Crocodile on Florida beach moved to 'suitable habitat'
- Splatoon 2 paints new updates for November 23
- State Department officials say Tillerson violated child soldiers law