Have a fire extinguisher on hand, and don't leave the fryer unattended. If the oil does catch fire, don't try to use water to put it out - water will only spread an oil fire.
"We have more than double the number of home fires on Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year".
Thanksgiving is the peak for home cooking fires, according to fire officials. Do a "dry run" with water in the pot to figure out how much oil you'll need to use. Have two ways out if a fire occurs.
The National Turkey Federation (NTF) recommends thawing the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every five pounds in weight. Consumers who use portable deep fryers to cook turkeys should know the dangers and consider using the safer, oil-less fryers.
In addition, the FDNY reminds that a clean cooking area is essential for cooking safety and that clean cooking equipment will lessen the risk of possible fire.
FDNY released a list of do's and don'ts as part of its FDNY Smart program to ensure a safe and secure Thanksgiving dinner. If you do stuff the turkey, do so just before cooking.
For more information, contact the Palm Coast Fire Department at 986-2300. Even if supermarkets take a hit from low turkey prices, they can still make up for it in other ways.
Inform your immediate family members of proper fire procedures, such as how to smother a small stove fire with a lid and that in the event of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed. Cooking oil and water do not mix and water causes the cooking oil to spill over, causing a fire or even an explosion hazard during cooking oil boil over.
- Slyvester Stallone's ex-wife Brigitte Nielsen defends him against sexual assault claim
- Arsenal poach Sven Mislintat from Dortmund as new head of recruitment
- Nebraska regulators approve Keystone XL pipeline route
- Contrary to Trump Tweet, Senator Flake still undecided on tax bill
- Violence Against the Transgender Community in 2017 | Human Rights Campaign
- MPs' report urges for fresh crackdown on gig economy
- Bruce Arians takes full responsibility for Cardinals loss
- Janet Yellen to leave Fed when Jerome Powell takes over as chair
- Della Reese, singer and Touched by an Angel star, dies at 86
- At least 33 injured in New Windsor cosmetics factory explosion