Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan had yesterday visited Mayor V.K. Prasanth, who is admitted in Thiruvananthapuram Medical College after being injured in the clashes at the council meeting. Anand was standing in front of the mayor on the stairs when the latter tripped after BJP councillor V.G. Girikumar allegedly caught hold of his legs.
He also warned of dire consequences against any attempt to jail any of the BJP councillors or members by framing them in such fake case.
BJP-RSS activists allegedly pelted stones at the CPM district committee office here, causing minor damage to the building. "The decision regarding whether to go ahead with 307 IPC will be finalised only after proper investigation", police sources said.
Devaswom and Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendran said the attacks were part of organised violence.
Meanwhile at Karikkakom, also in Thiruvananthapuram district, three CPI (M) activists were injured in an attack by RSS workers and had to be hospitalised. Protest marchThe protest march was one of the many organised across the city by both the CPI (M) and the BJP. Prasanth and five councillors belonging to CPM and BJP suffered injuries in the attack. "It seems that this is the reason why the BJP workers surrounded the Mayor and beat him up", wrote journalist and political commentator TC Rajesh. The BJP leaders informed Behera though cases had been lodged against the BJP councillors and leaders on the basis of the Mayor's statement, the police failed to take action on the basis of complaints from the BJP councillors.
CPI (M) state general secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said on Monday that the RSS is trying to terrorise the state by unleashing a series of attacks.
- Tambor quits 'Transparent' after sexual assault claims
- Church, business to offer community Thanksgiving dinner
- Authorities serve Apple a warrant for Texas shooter's iPhone
- Charlie Rose suspended from CBS News, PBS after sexual harassment allegations
- Bears to sign Cairo Santos
- Janet Yellen to leave Fed when Jerome Powell takes over as chair
- Violence Against the Transgender Community in 2017 | Human Rights Campaign
- MPs' report urges for fresh crackdown on gig economy
- Della Reese, singer and Touched by an Angel star, dies at 86
- Santa Claus to make trip from North Pole to the Prairies