"We will be delivering (meals) from 10 a.m.to 1 p.m. within our serving area", said Renee Roach, who organizes the event. Some were also busy in the kitchen from putting pumpkin pies in the oven to cutting up the turkeys.
This is a nonprofit event made possible by donations and volunteer workers. Having a place to enjoy a comforting Thanksgiving dinner can make the experience more enjoyable.
For the last 13 years, the congregation of Stonebridge Church in Findlay has volunteered their time to offer a free Thanksgiving meal to anyone in need in the Findlay community.
"My family understands what I do", she said. "We start cooking around 7 (a.m.) Thursday morning - we have a lot of stuff prepped - and as the day progresses we will start pushing meals out the door to be delivered".
KSNT was at the Kansas Expocentre Monday afternoon as the preparations for the big Topeka Community Thanksgiving Dinner were underway.
The food was purchased by the church with funding they received through a in-church financial donation initiative by their congregation, Dawson said. It's important to me to be able to, not only give back, but to do what we can in supporting our community, our seniors, sick and shut-in or anyone that would like a meal on that day.
With Thanksgiving just days away, one Meridian church is spending this time giving back to the community. Organizers say local businesses and individuals donate the potatoes, gravy, corn, cranberry sauce, stuffing and some of the turkeys. Each Thanksgiving, the event grew more popular. They'll also be open for dinner Tuesday and Wednesday.
The nonprofit group Our Community in Portage also is seeking volunteers to help out with its eighth annual Thanksgiving Day meal, Director Staci Pearman said.
Staying open 24 hours means Food & Shelter needs to bring in additional staff members who need to be paid.
Once the holidays are over, Heiple said people will continue to rely on their food pantry which is always in need of more items.
- Violence Against the Transgender Community in 2017 | Human Rights Campaign
- McMaster Mocked Trump's Intelligence In a Private Dinner
- Packers running back arrested, before he made his first start
- At least 33 injured in New Windsor cosmetics factory explosion
- Bears to sign Cairo Santos
- Janet Yellen to leave Fed when Jerome Powell takes over as chair
- Charlie Rose suspended from CBS News, PBS after sexual harassment allegations
- Amsterdam Wins Race To Host EU Medicines Agency After Brexit
- Contrary to Trump Tweet, Senator Flake still undecided on tax bill
- Nebraska regulators approve Keystone XL pipeline route