"Saddened by the passing of Dr Alex Ekwueme, our former Vice President".
In statement by his family said he died at a London clinic on Sunday.
The government had however said it would not bear the cost of treating Ekwueme overseas, as its obligations were only to fly him out.
Kalu, who commiserated with the government and people of Anambra State, called on the Ekwueme family to sustain the ideals of the deceased.
He described the former vice president as a good man.
According to statement by family and signed by the decreased brother, who is also a traditional ruler of Oki, Igwe Laz Ekwemeka, the former VP passed away 10pm on Sunday night.
"The sad event occurred at the London Clinic at 10:00 pm on Sunday, 19th November, 2017", the statement revealed.
He was immediately taken to Memfys Nuerosurgery Hospital in Enugu, from where he was moved to London for further medical attention on the orders of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Born October 21, 1932, Ekweme was the first elected Vice President of Nigeria.
Over the years, he has played several roles domestically and internationally, cementing his status as a statesman.
Chairman of the forum and Governor of Ebonyi state, David Umahi says Ekwueme's death is a rude shock and a great loss to Ndigbo in particular and Nigeria as a whole.
- Federal complaint filed against Sam Hoyt
- Diana Ross Sings Her Biggest Hits for AMAs 2017 Performance!
- Sixth Miss World Win Draws India Level With Venezuela
- Tuition refunds offered to students as Ontario college strike ends
- AbRam think's Amitabh Bachchan is Shah Rukh Khan's father
- Statewide average gas prices fall 11 cents
- As host, Goa shells out generously for Iffi bills
- CD Projekt Red Responds to CyberPunk 2077 Concerns
- Kelly Clarkson, Pink open American Music Awards
- Huawei unveils the Honor 7X with a Kirin 659 SoC