"Saddened by the passing of Dr Alex Ekwueme, our former Vice President".
In statement by his family said he died at a London clinic on Sunday.
The government had however said it would not bear the cost of treating Ekwueme overseas, as its obligations were only to fly him out.
Kalu, who commiserated with the government and people of Anambra State, called on the Ekwueme family to sustain the ideals of the deceased.
He described the former vice president as a good man.
According to statement by family and signed by the decreased brother, who is also a traditional ruler of Oki, Igwe Laz Ekwemeka, the former VP passed away 10pm on Sunday night.
"The sad event occurred at the London Clinic at 10:00 pm on Sunday, 19th November, 2017", the statement revealed.
He was immediately taken to Memfys Nuerosurgery Hospital in Enugu, from where he was moved to London for further medical attention on the orders of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Born October 21, 1932, Ekweme was the first elected Vice President of Nigeria.
Over the years, he has played several roles domestically and internationally, cementing his status as a statesman.
Chairman of the forum and Governor of Ebonyi state, David Umahi says Ekwueme's death is a rude shock and a great loss to Ndigbo in particular and Nigeria as a whole.
- Volvo to supply Uber with 24000 self-driving taxis
- Best tweets: Cristiano and Griezmann struggle as Barcelona fans rejoice
- CD Projekt Red Responds to CyberPunk 2077 Concerns
- Former Patriots WR Terry Glenn dies in vehicle wreck
- Sterling Shepard ruled inactive for Giants after pregame warm-ups
- Trump calls on National Football League to suspend Marshawn Lynch
- AbRam think's Amitabh Bachchan is Shah Rukh Khan's father
- 'Justice League' looks to its biggest heroes for box office success
- Statewide average gas prices fall 11 cents
- London buses will run on waste coffee grounds from today