Tensions on the Korean Peninsula have cast a shadow over the upcoming Winter Olympics, especially with. It urges United Nations member states to observe the truce for seven days before the Games begin on February 9 until seven days after the Paralympic Winter Games end March 18.
The resolution urges countries to give safe passage to all players, officers and officials participating in the Olympics, to have safe access and allow them to participate at the Games, as well as mobilising youth around the world for peace.
"I firmly believe that PyeongChang 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Games will help spread the message of peace through one of the few languages that has the power to unite people around the world, sport", Kim Yu Na said in her speech.
It was titled "Building a Peaceful and Better World through Sports and the Olympic Idea".
South Korean Prime Minister Lee Nak-yo has assured this year's Olympics will be a success.
A record 94 countries have expressed interest in sending athletes to next year's Winter Olympics, although North Korea have yet to indicate whether they will attend the Games.
The Pyeongchang Games will take place just 80km from South Korea's heavily fortified border with its estranged neighbour to the north.
The resolution noted "possibilities of new partnership in sport and beyond for Republic of Korea, Japan and China".
Adam Schmidt, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Leyard International, said in the announcement that company officials "are thrilled to be selected by NBC Olympics for their coverage of the 2018 Winter Games", promising "Leyard video walls will provide a stunning and dynamic visual backdrop to NBC's coverage".
The South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday in a statement "welcomed" the United Nations resolution and added that "the expression of the expectation that it will help promote peace on the Korean Peninsula and in Northeast Asia reflects the Korean government's commitment to make the PyeongChang event an 'Olympic of Peace'". "In terms of other sports, we are aware that there are North Korean athletes training for cross country (skiing) as well as other ice skating categories", Do said.
"We welcome the North's participation in the Pyeongchang Olympic Games at any time in anticipation of North Korea's response to the peace on the Korean Peninsula and the peaceful development of Northeast Asia and the world".
- Texas State suspends Greek Life after fraternity pledge dies
- Why I attacked Tyson Fury - Anthony Joshua
- UCLA basketball players flying home after Trump asks Chinese leader for help
- Turkey-Russia solidarity in settling regional crises strengthens their ties: Erdogan
- Salvation Army bell ringing kicks off
- Tennessee State dismisses player who sucker-punched coach
- Nothing can stop 'Padmavati' release: Deepika Padukone
- Kuwait's Wataniya To Expand With 25 Airbus A320neos
- Decision On Thomas Chandy At Appropriate Time: Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan
- 'No Indication' Saudi Coalition Reopening Yemen Ports