SAN MARCOS, Texas- Texas State University has announced that all Greek organizations will be suspended pending an investigation into the death of a student at an off campus party.
Trauth said that Ellis had attended an off-campus social event Sunday, hosted by members of a Texas State fraternity.
Matthew Ellis, a pledge with fraternity Phi Kappa Psi, was found unresponsive around 11:30 a.m.at an off-campus apartment, according to KPRC.
Moreno ordered an autopsy on Ellis's body. Preliminary findings indicate alcohol may have been a factor in his death, but police are awaiting results of a toxicology test. Ellis was a pledge of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at TSU, but it is unknown if the fraternity held any social events preceding Ellis' death.
Witnesses told cops how Ellis, a Business major, was pledging for Phi Kappa Psi.
The school's vice president for student affairs, Joanne Smith, has been tasked with coming up with recommendations for reinstating the fraternities and sororities "that demonstrate a commitment to the core values of Texas State", Trauth said.
Phi Kappa Theta had its charter revoked by its national organization on November 6.
The Texas State Fraternity switched its Twitter account to private after Ellis' death.
The San Marcos Police Department said Tuesday in a press conference that it's too early to determine if Ellis's death was from hazing. "I think it's super risky and these things have happened before, so I think it's definitely the right and the smart move", said Texas State Senior Stephanie Cloyd.
In February, Penn State University student Timothy Piazza died after a hazing ritual at a fraternity house, a story that garnered national headlines and spurred the university to deliver a range of sanctions on Greek life. In her email, Trauth stated she has suspend all activities of fraternities and sororities until a review has been completed.
- 'S Durga' director moves HC against exclusion from IFFI
- Dem Reads Trump Tweets During Sessions Hearing
- Cards Against Humanity buys land along Mexican border to block wall
- Ben Affleck wants a 'cool way to segue out' of DCEU
- Rose McGowan arrested for cocaine possession
- Old £10 note to disappear next year
- JC Penney Company Inc (JCP) A Look at Technical Overview
- After three appeals, NCAA clears State guard Braxton Beverly
- Tennessee State dismisses player who sucker-punched coach
- Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust won auction of Dawood Ibrahim's property