The film got the certificate after the title was changed to S Durga and as many as 21 audio mutes were made. The film had also won the prestigious FIPRESCI and Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema awards for the best Malayalam film at the International Film Festival Kerala. "I stand with the chairman of the jury". "If they had any problem with the censorship of the film they should have asked me".
Noted filmmaker Sujoy Ghosh has resigned as the jury chief for the upcoming International Film Festival of India (IFFI) after the controversial removal of films "S Durga" and "Nude" from the final list.
In the case of Ravi Jadhav's Nude that was chosen by the jury to be the opening film of the Indian Panorama section, it was denied due to incomplete post-production.
Expressing disappointment over the Ministry's decision, S Durga's director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan took to Facebook and wrote, " I have filed a writ petition before the Hon'ble High Court of Kerala against this unprecedented, illogical and unconstitutional action taken by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting". My conscience won't allow me to participate in the festivities in Goa.
Meanwhile speaking to Mirror on condition of anonymity, a jury member said that till late on Tuesday, the ministry had not reacted to either Sujoy and Asrani's resignations. "Right now, the controversy is around Nude and S Durga but there are other good films that need to be watched and lauded so I don't wish to officially disassociate myself from the Panorama".
"Without understanding the context and setting of the movie, such fundamentalist groups acting with ulterior motives, opposed the film and even issued threats to the petitioner, on a baseless notion of hurting religious sentiments".
'S Durga' director moves HC against exclusion from IFFI
I and B ministry sources tell India Today that it is the final word on IFFI screenings, since this is "restricted viewing for delegates", and not for public viewing that it can not dictate.
Prodded to comment on the merits of the two films, he said: "They are both very accomplished films".
He said he wanted the ministry to implement the jury's decision and include films in the final list.
Rajesh Kumar Singh, a member of the preview committee that selects entries from the Indian Panorama section for the worldwide competition at IFFI, took up the issue of the two films on Twitter.
The films had been selected by a 13 member jury and the Ministry allegedly did not consult anyone before dropping the films.
- Amazon Studios to Create Lord of the Rings TV Series
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' CJ Prosise (ankle) could return this season
- Rose McGowan arrested for cocaine possession
- 'No Indication' Saudi Coalition Reopening Yemen Ports
- Texas prosecutor fired after allegedly assaulting and belittling Uber driver
- Decision On Thomas Chandy At Appropriate Time: Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan
- After three appeals, NCAA clears State guard Braxton Beverly
- JC Penney Company Inc (JCP) A Look at Technical Overview
- Apple nudges out Xiaomi to retake global wearables lead
- Israel Deploys Iron Dome Batteries Amid Terror Threats