The gunman who left four dead after a rampage in Northern California Tuesday had attempted to enter an elementary school during his killing spree - but was prevented because the school was on lockdown. The assailant, yet to be identified by police, opened fire in several locations, including an Elementary School.
There were at least seven separate shooting scenes in or near Rancho Tehama Reserve, an unincorporated community of about 1,500 people, Phil Johnston, assistant sheriff of Tehama County, told reporters.
Witnesses reported hearing gunshots and children screaming at the school, which has one class of students from kindergarten through fifth grade.
Reports indicate the incident began at a home and moved to the school around 8 a.m. local time. More than 100 law enforcement officials were there dealing with five crime scenes.
Tehama, the community in which the shooting occurred, is about 210km north of Sacramento and has a population of just 3500. Officials said they are actively searching for the shooter.
At least two of the injured are children, officials said, and the dead are all adults. Flint said the neighbor had been shooting "hundreds of rounds" from large magazines. "This guy has been insane, and he's been threatening us and everything".
A person with the username Javier Figueroa tweeted that the shooting had taken place at his brother's school.
A gunman's rampage has claimed the lives of four people, during a school shooting in California. California Gov. Jerry Brown issued a statement in the wake of the shooting: "Anne and I are saddened to hear about today's violence in Tehama County, which shockingly involved schoolchildren".
- United Nations dismisses the Saudi demand to re-open the Yemen Port
- United Nations Articles, Photos, and Videos
- The Vornado Realty Trust (VNO) Shares Sold by Pacer Advisors Inc
- Belated Trump's responce to Texas Church Shooting has enraged Twitter!
- Zimbabwe military deny takeover in state TV address
- Taylor Swift's 'Ready for It': Singer announces stadium tour
- Hearing of NAB references against former PM Nawaz, family adjourns till Wednesday
- Nothing can stop 'Padmavati' release: Deepika Padukone
- 5.4 magnitude earthquake strikes South Korea, no casualty reported
- Jon Stewart confesses to 'blindness' on buddy Louis CK sex abuse history