After yesterday's report that several of the IDF's Iron Dome batteries had been deployed throughout central Israel, it has been released for publication that one of the batteries has been stationed in the Tel Aviv Metropolitan Area.
"We are aware of the plot that the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group plans against Israel".
Also on Tuesday, the army closed off a number of tourist attractions near the Gaza border, out of concerns that the terrorist group may carry out a sniper attack on visitors. Israeli news website Ynet reported on Sunday that Major General of the Israeli army, Yoav Mordechai, released a video in Arabic on Saturday night vowing to "respond with power and determination" to any "revenge attack" staged by the groups.
Jason Greenblatt, US President Donald Trump's special representative for global negotiations, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday that "extremist statements & provocation vs. Israel by Islamic Jihad significantly harm the people of Gaza & are very risky".
A war of words broke out between Israel and PIJ shortly after the destruction of the tunnel, which was detected using advanced technology and neutralized inside Israeli territory using a controlled explosion. Ten PIJ operatives, including two senior commanders, were killed during Israel's operation to destroy the tunnel.
The army said later that killing the terrorists was not the primary objective of the tunnel demolition.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned of retaliation, saying any attack on Israel emanating from the Gaza Strip will be met with a harsh response.
In his YouTube message, Mordechai referred to those reconciliation efforts, saying Islamic Jihad was "playing with fire" and potentially threatening the talks as well as the safety of Gaza Strip residents.
PIJ is Gaza's second-largest terror faction behind Hamas, with an estimated 10,000 armed members as well as its own rocket arsenal and tunnel network.
- Redskins lose momentum against Vikings as defensive problems mount
- For first time in 40 years, Congress debates USA president's nuclear power
- AFFLECK & ABRAMS Unites New All-Star Super-Team with ANISTON, SHAQ, More
- Hate Crimes In Vermont Up In 2016, According To FBI Data
- Dead and Kid Survives in Crash on I-94 Near Detroit
- Apple nudges out Xiaomi to retake global wearables lead
- Uber Hit With a Class Action Lawsuit Over Sexual Assault Claims
- Stove Top offers stuffing-themed 'Thanksgiving Dinner Pants'
- Delhi airport issue: IndiGo moves court against DIAL
- Tyson Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSN) To Report Earnings