After yesterday's report that several of the IDF's Iron Dome batteries had been deployed throughout central Israel, it has been released for publication that one of the batteries has been stationed in the Tel Aviv Metropolitan Area.
"We are aware of the plot that the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group plans against Israel".
Also on Tuesday, the army closed off a number of tourist attractions near the Gaza border, out of concerns that the terrorist group may carry out a sniper attack on visitors. Israeli news website Ynet reported on Sunday that Major General of the Israeli army, Yoav Mordechai, released a video in Arabic on Saturday night vowing to "respond with power and determination" to any "revenge attack" staged by the groups.
Jason Greenblatt, US President Donald Trump's special representative for global negotiations, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday that "extremist statements & provocation vs. Israel by Islamic Jihad significantly harm the people of Gaza & are very risky".
A war of words broke out between Israel and PIJ shortly after the destruction of the tunnel, which was detected using advanced technology and neutralized inside Israeli territory using a controlled explosion. Ten PIJ operatives, including two senior commanders, were killed during Israel's operation to destroy the tunnel.
The army said later that killing the terrorists was not the primary objective of the tunnel demolition.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned of retaliation, saying any attack on Israel emanating from the Gaza Strip will be met with a harsh response.
In his YouTube message, Mordechai referred to those reconciliation efforts, saying Islamic Jihad was "playing with fire" and potentially threatening the talks as well as the safety of Gaza Strip residents.
PIJ is Gaza's second-largest terror faction behind Hamas, with an estimated 10,000 armed members as well as its own rocket arsenal and tunnel network.
- Tennessee State dismisses player who sucker-punched coach
- Old £10 note to disappear next year
- Decision On Thomas Chandy At Appropriate Time: Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan
- Amazon Studios to Create Lord of the Rings TV Series
- For first time in 40 years, Congress debates USA president's nuclear power
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' CJ Prosise (ankle) could return this season
- Texas prosecutor fired after allegedly assaulting and belittling Uber driver
- Dead and Kid Survives in Crash on I-94 Near Detroit
- Tyson Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSN) To Report Earnings
- Ben Affleck Plays Batman For His Son