The participating members of the 12th East Asia Summit are Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, the USA and Vietnam. "We seek to enhance our cooperation in non-traditional security issues through the framework of the ASEAN Senior Officials' Meeting on Transnational Crime (SOMTC) Plus US Consultations, ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), and ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting (ADMM) Plus, and the East Asia Summit (EAS), including through training courses and exercises", the statement read. "I reiterate my commitment to work with you to address the political, security and economic issues of the region", Modi said.
U.S. President Donald Trump, who was standing beside President Rodrigo Duterte and Vietnam Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc, was briefly confused during the ceremonial handshake onstage.
"India assures the ASEAN of its steady support towards achieving a rules-based regional security architecture that best attests to the region's interests and its peaceful development", he said.
"But most of all, sharing common traits and values that are deeply embedded in our customs and traditions help us develop a culture of tolerance and understanding among us, providing a space for positive dialogue", the 72-year old Philippine leader said.
"We have individually strived very hard to fight terrorism and violent extremism".
Apart from that, he said other dialogue partners such as India and Australia also wanted to hold their own summits with ASEAN countries in January and April next year.
The Indian Prime Minister arrived in the Philippines capital on Sunday for a three-day visit.
"The ASEAN-US partnership plays an increasing role in addressing transnational challenges".
President Duterte formally opened the 31st ASEAN Summit on Monday. "It is time that we jointly address this challenge by intensifying cooperation in this crucial area", Modi said.
- O'Neill bemoans poor goals and missed chances versus Denmark
- Gwen Stefani Reacts to Blake Shelton as Sexiest Man Alive!
- 'No Indication' Saudi Coalition Reopening Yemen Ports
- Cards Against Humanity buys land along Mexican border to block wall
- UCLA basketball players flying home after Trump asks Chinese leader for help
- Kuwait's Wataniya To Expand With 25 Airbus A320neos
- Decision On Thomas Chandy At Appropriate Time: Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan
- Dem Reads Trump Tweets During Sessions Hearing
- UC Browser gets temporarily delisted on the Play Store for 'misleading' users
- Buhari Arrives Ebonyi, Commences South-East Tour