Since then, caretaker manager David Unsworth has installed a glimmer of hope into Everton, picking up a rare league win over Watford - coming from two goals down to win 3-2 - shortly before the global break to temporarily lift them out of trouble.
And there was support from ex-Leicester talent spotter Steve Walsh, who was keen to bring in Allardyce with former Foxes boss Craig Shakespeare as assistant.
Allardyce would be seen as a short-term solution, but wants a greater commitment.
Big Sam revealed: "It never materialised as I thought it would, unfortunately".
'For me such a long time without a decision, I had to make a decision myself'.
"The decision is that it is probably better it wasn't me. They were hesitating that I was the man".
While Silva himself is said to be conscious of potential perceptions where he to leave another job so quickly and doesn't want to rock the boat, having only joined Watford in the summer, sources say he is hugely tempted by this opportunity and would like the move.
They offered Watford £8.5million in compensation for the Portuguese earlier this week, but the Hornets rejected the proposal out of hand.
David Unsworth has tried his best to steady the Toffees ship since taking over on an interim basis, although he has found wins hard to find as well, but recorded his first just before the start of the worldwide break against Watford.
- The Vornado Realty Trust (VNO) Shares Sold by Pacer Advisors Inc
- Taylor Swift's 'Ready for It': Singer announces stadium tour
- India Summit: Modi calls for efforts to uproot terrorism
- Belated Trump's responce to Texas Church Shooting has enraged Twitter!
- Global wealth rises over decade, but rich-poor gap grows
- Coburn 'troubled' by Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore's 'trial in the press'
- Why I attacked Tyson Fury - Anthony Joshua
- Nothing can stop 'Padmavati' release: Deepika Padukone
- Kyrie Irving gives his jersey, shoes to soldiers on military appreciation night
- United Nations Articles, Photos, and Videos