Torey Lovullo of the Arizona Diamondbacks and Paul Molitor of the Minnesota Twins were the runaway winners in the National League and American League, respectively, after guiding both franchises to the 2017 postseason one year after they had lost a combined 196 games. Lovullo became the fourth straight N.L. Manager of the Year to win the award in his first season with the team.
The Twins went 85-77 this season and earned their first playoff spot since 2010 before losing to the Yankees in the AL wild-card game. Roberts was one of five managers to receive first-place votes this year - Lovullo (18 first-place votes), Roberts (five), Black (three), Milwaukee's Craig Counsell (three) and Washington's Dusty Baker (one).
How's that for a rookie campaign?
Torey Lovullo of the Arizona Diamondbacks won the NL award. Colorado Rockies manager Bud Black finished third. Craig Counsell of the Milwaukee Brewers finished fourth and Dusty Baker, who was sacked by the Washington Nationals, finished fifth. Not only that, but the Twins traded some good players at the deadline because they felt they were out of the race.
Roberts finished second with 5 first place votes, 8 second place votes and 6 third place votes. Houston Astros manager A.J. Hinch was the only other AL manager to receive a first-place vote.
"An award like this, it's certainly a reflection of the organization [and] the work my coaches and players put in", Molitor said on MLB Network. Last year, the Twins led the majors with 103 losses. He joins Bob Melvin (2007) and Kirk Gibson (2011) as the only Arizona managers to win the award.
- Russian Federation releases video game screenshot as 'proof' United States is working with IS
- Short Term Outlook For The TJX Companies, Inc. (NYSE:TJX)
- Paul Ryan orders mandatory sexual harassment training for members, staff
- Sock keeps hopes alive with win over erratic Cilic
- GameStop halts used-games subscription service
- OnePlus phones sold with root exploit backdoor
- Android Fragmentation: One billion active devices now out of date
- AFFLECK & ABRAMS Unites New All-Star Super-Team with ANISTON, SHAQ, More
- Bella Hadid Gracefully Saved Gigi From Stacking It In Public-Again
- Amazon Studios to Create Lord of the Rings TV Series