A minister approaching the high court against his own government is unheard of and it means that the minister has lost his trust in the government and the chief minister, it observed.
Earlier, the court gave an option to Chandy to withdraw the petition, but he did not do so following which it passed the order. The petition was the one that had sought withdrawal of Alappuzha district collector's report against him in the backwater encroachment case.
Ever since the allegation of land grab surfaced three months back, the Congress-led opposition, the BJP and even the second biggest ally of the Vijayan government - the Communist Party of India - had been demanding the resignation of Chandy.
Mr Chandy is the Nationalist Congress Party nominee in the LDF ministry.
Both the State and central leadership of the NCP on Tuesday eschewed responsibility of taking a call on the continuance of Transport Minister Thomas Chandy in the State cabinet. But Chandy, the richest cabinet member and the sole NCP minister, remains in place.
Following the HC verdict, the chief minister finally ended his silence on the Chandy issue, telling mediapersons Tuesday that he would take the right decision on the issue at an appropriate time.
Vijayan had come under fire from several quarters for protecting Chandy, much against the wishes of the other allies of the Left Front government.
"Vijayan is scared of Chandy as it now appears that his money power reigns supreme". He would have talks with CPM state secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan also.
NCP state leadership on Tuesday chose to leave the decision on the demand for Chandy's decision to the party's parliamentary board.
NCP state acting president T.P. Peethamabaran said a decision on Chandy would be taken by the NCP parliamentary board.
Mr Vijayan said the LDF had earlier chose to entrust him to take an appropriate decision on the matter after looking into all aspects. It is better for Chandy to quit, said senior communist leader and public works minister G. Sudhakaran.
- Walmart cashier helps nervous man count change in viral photo
- FDA warns against using kratom for opioid addiction
- Redskins lose momentum against Vikings as defensive problems mount
- Tyson Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSN) To Report Earnings
- After three appeals, NCAA clears State guard Braxton Beverly
- Hate Crimes In Vermont Up In 2016, According To FBI Data
- Sock keeps hopes alive with win over erratic Cilic
- Dead and Kid Survives in Crash on I-94 Near Detroit
- Mozilla Firefox Live With New Version
- Uber Hit With a Class Action Lawsuit Over Sexual Assault Claims