For the third quarter of 2017, Apple was once again the leader of the wearable market.
Canalys Analyst Jason Low stated for the report that "Strong demand for the LTE-enabled Apple Watch Series 3 has dispelled service providers' doubts about the cellular smartwatch not appealing to customers".
Chinese firm Xiaomi slipped to the second spot with 3.6 million wearables, while Fitbit remained at the third place with 3.5 million units. Still, their performance was better than average in the sluggish Q3, according to Canalys, where business has historically been slower.
Grateful for his new Apple Watch 3 functionality that took him out of a potentially risky situation, John Zilles emailed Apple to let them know how he appreciates the gear, and apparently even got a short reaction by fellow fitness nerd Tim Cook himself, in the form of one short but sweet "wow, happy to hear you are safe" reply. In the third-quarter, Apple reportedly shipped about 800,000 units of the cellular-enabled variant, according to Canalys. Despite increased shipments, the overall wearable band market dropped by 2% to 17.3 million units, primarily due to the waning demand for the basic bands, Canalys estimates. Nobody's streaming video to such a small screen.
Though third quarter is the weakest period for the sales of wearable devices, top manufacturers gained huge in Q3 2017.
With an augmented reality (AR) headset in the works that would inevitably be considered a wearable as well, it could be just a matter of time before Apple officially breaks out wearables into a distinct reportable product segment. Apple is on the list - but there are nine others you may be overlooking.
After a short disruption by Xiaomi, Apple Inc.
At 9.53 a.m. EST, Apple shares were down 0.57% at $173.02. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
- "Don't Cut Our Taxes", Say 400+ Very Wealthy Americans. "Raise Them".
- Sock keeps hopes alive with win over erratic Cilic
- Jerry Jones Not Backing Down From Challenging Goodell's Extension
- Armenian PM extends condolences to First Vice-President of Iran on devastating quake
- Hate Crimes In Vermont Up In 2016, According To FBI Data
- Ben Affleck Plays Batman For His Son
- AFFLECK & ABRAMS Unites New All-Star Super-Team with ANISTON, SHAQ, More
- Mozilla Firefox Live With New Version
- Paul Ryan orders mandatory sexual harassment training for members, staff
- Short Term Outlook For The TJX Companies, Inc. (NYSE:TJX)