"Jail? Jeez. When I was a teenager, I was in and out of jail", he said, in a mixture of Tagalog and English.
Duterte last month declared the liberation of Marawi City from Islamist militants after 154 days of fighting, which killed more than 1,100 people, including 165 soldiers, and displaced almost 400,000 residents.
Hours after being sworn in as Philippine president, Duterte goes to a Manila slum and urges residents to kill drug-addled neighbors.
"I think it was in jest", Mr. Roque said.
Duterte says there are three million drug addicts in the Philippines, and he'd like them all dead.
Meanwhile, Duterte told Xi in Vietnam that he will raise the dispute over the South China Sea as chairman of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit this week.
"We are looking at helicopters, small arms and equipment for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations, but we are still discussing the specifics", said the same military official who declined to be named because he was not authorised to talk to the press.
"I'm a very good mediator and arbitrator", Trump said during a news conference with Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang in Hanoi before flying here.
"I said, 'I am not raising any sovereign issue".
Duterte seemed confident he had Trump's backing for his deadly war on drugs. "I'd be happy to slaughter them", he said previously.
The comments came as the leader defended his government's brutal countrywide crackdown on drugs. The problem with these pests, they invite (UN) human rights commission and all, only to show the statistics: here, 10,000 died.
The firebrand leader also reiterated his previous threat to slap United Nations human rights expert Agnes Callamard if she investigates him for thousands of deaths linked to his government's brutal crackdown on drug suspects.
"Foreign leaders should recognize that the fist. symbolizes a purposeful attack by Duterte on rule of law that has inflicted a human rights calamity on thousands of Filipinos", Kine said. "He does not call me out over my campaign about human rights". "World summit on human rights".
- Trump's Asia trip ends as it begins: shadowed by Russian Federation
- Security scare at Orlando Airport prompts review
- Shell offloads remaining stake in Australia's Woodside
- World Antibiotic Awareness Week, 13-19 November 2017
- Museveni and Sudan's Bashir discuss trade, diplomatic relations
- HTC Vive Focus standalone VR headset launched
- Jeff Sessions Weighs Competing Special Counsel Focused On Clinton, Democrats
- Trouble for Mugabe as Zimbabwe military threatens to step
- Emerging after shock resignation, Lebanon's Hariri says he will return 'soon'
- Jinder Mahal Responds To Triple H; News For This Week's SmackDown Live