U.S. President Donald Trump skipped the plenary session of a summit of East and Southeast Asian leaders in Manila on Tuesday because of scheduling delays, but he said his marathon trip to the region had been a success.
He told reporters on Air Force One that he had delivered his prepared remarks during the lunch instead of the summit meeting.
President Donald Trump arrived in the Philippines Sunday and met with Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte, who sang a love song for his American counterpart.
"We've made some very big steps with respect to trade, far bigger than anything you know, in addition to about $300 billion in sales to various companies, including China", Trump said, according to a pool report.
The two countries also vowed to increase cooperation on counterterrorism, intelligence sharing, and will conduct additional exercises.
However, Trudeau said that during his conversation with Duterte, he "mentioned human rights, rule of law and specifically extra-judicial killings as being an issue that Canada is concerned with".
On Monday, Trump thanked the Philippine president for the hospitality and praised the performances on the eve of the ASEAN Summit in Manila.
Duterte has been a controversial figure since taking office as president past year, and launching a war on drugs that has killed at least 3,900 people in the Philippines. Trump has previously praised Duterte's handling of his nation's drug problems.
Speaking to the media, the Secretary (East) of the Ministry of External Affairs, Preeti Saran, said the invitation to Mr. Duterte was extended by Mr. Modi during the bilateral discussions.
On the ground, military operations continue to clear buildings for stragglers.
Early on Monday, about 1,000 protesters clashed with riot police as they tried to reach the convention centre where the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meetings were held.
- Defender Andrew Robertson frustrated by start to his Liverpool career
- Gwent Police appeals for "unlawful" guns during two-week surrender
- Pradyuman case: CBI denies allegations of accused's father
- Newton, Panthers hammer Dolphins 45-21 for 3rd straight win
- Air pollution: Arvind Kejriwal to meet Manohar Lal Khattar in Chandigarh
- Trudeau raises concerns with Duterte over bloody drug war in the Philippines
- Emerging after shock resignation, Lebanon's Hariri says he will return 'soon'
- Dimitrov marks debut with narrow victory over Thiem
- HTC Vive Focus standalone VR headset launched
- Security scare at Orlando Airport prompts review