Morbius' backstory follows a classic Spider-Man villain formula: Dr. Morbius is a scientist with a rare blood disease who tries to cure himself, to disastrous results.
At this point, I have stopped questioning Sony's decisions to attempt to break it big with cinematic universes but can only remain in a state of disbelief as the studio throws ideas at the wall. But instead of curing himself of his affliction, he turned himself into a vampire-like creature who has a thirst for blood, along with super-strength, fangs, and pale white skin. While it is still too early to tell what the film will be about, we know that Sony has been developing spinoffs of Spider-Man supporting characters and anti-heroes for quite some time.
No more details are known about the movie, but it will likely follow the broad strokes of Morbius' origin - especially with vampires continuing to be all the rage in film and television.
Furthermore, Sony has not mentioned how they will be reinventing the character of Morbius or if they will sticking to canon material. Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama, who worked on the recent Power Rangers movie (which, to be fair, was far better than anyone was expecting) wrote the script, and just submitted it to the studio after a secret development process.
As Hollywood continues to push all of its chips into the superhero movie pot, it gets harder to come up with new superheroes audiences might actually want to watch a movie about.
As such, Morbius is considered somewhat of a tragic figure, with a healthy does of anti-hero to Spider-Man. He originally appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man but has since gained his own solo titles as well as stories like the (excellent) 2010 Legion of Monsters minseries. Silver & Black (starring Silver Sable and Black Cat) is directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, and also has an October 2018 release date.
Whether Spider-Man is legally capable to show up in these films is a bit murky, as Sony and Marvel seem to change their statements every other week regarding the matter.
- Two dead after shooting at Cousin Stizz concert; rapper issues statement
- Donald Trump Asked Chinese President for Help With the UCLA Shoplifters
- New hijab-wearing Barbie inspired by Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad coming soon
- Roman Reigns returns tonight to reform Shield for dream Survivor Series match
- LeBron James, Cavs teammates take NY subway from shootaround
- Liverpool Could Leave Final Decision on Philippe Coutinho Future to Jurgen Klopp
- Contracted Soviet-derived spaceplane Dream Chaser makes successful glide test
- Trump asked Chinese president for help over arrested UCLA basketball players
- Sydney Gets its Ferry McFerryface
- Falcons' Devonta Freeman likely out for Week 11 vs. Seahawks