The suspect has been shot and killed by authorities, the Tehama County Sheriff's Office says. There are now 100 law enforcement personnel on scene.
The school was cleared and the students inside were taken to a safe location.
A 6 year-old child with two gunshot wounds was reportedly transported by helicopter to a hospital.
The shooter was shot and killed by police.
The shooting began "right about 8 am", local time (1600 GMT), according to Sheriff Phil Johnson. The shooter then moved to an elementary school.
Initial reports said somebody was barricaded in a structure and there were multiple victims, including one who was dead.
The shooting occurred at Rancho Tehama Elementary, a small public school of 100 students located in northern California. There are also reports of several people injured. Rancho Tehama is southwest of Red Bluff. Police say it happened in Rancho Tehama, near Corning.
- Black Friday Facts Retailers Don't Want You To Know
- Conservatives Try to Sneak 'Religious Freedom' Into Australia's Marriage Bill
- FDA Approves First Pill With Digital Tracking System
- Home Depot (NYSE:HD) Experiences Heavy Trading Volume
- World's Earliest Wine-Making Dates Back to 8000 Years, Experts Reveal
- Saudi Arabia to reopen Yemen's air and seaports within next 24 hours
- Tesco Booker deal gets provisional green light from CMA
- Equity indices close lower on global cues, macro-data
- Meghan Markle officially won't be returning to 'Suits'
- Taylor Swift Plays 'New Year's Day' in Surprise Performance