"This is for the volunteers that come to ring the bells and their having a little get together for them to start off the season for bell ringing", said Volunteer, Mark Miller.
"It is the major fundraiser for the Salvation Army here in Red Deer", Salvation Army Corps Officer Major Larry Bridger said. "We couldn't do what we do without the support we receive each year from those who make a donation".
"We like to kickoff the red kettle season by sharing some joy with the community", said Sgt. Toby Romack. The Salvation Army hopes to raise $95,000 during the six-week campaign.
He noted that through its partnership with Government, the Army distributes over 150 meals daily to persons who reside primarily in St Michael, St Thomas and St George.
A total of $304,000 was raised a year ago, surpassing the previous goal of $270,000.
The evening will feature music courtesy of a Salvation Army Brass Band and the showcasing of the "Kettle Bug" - a VW Beetle modified into the largest mobile Salvation Army red kettle in America and capable of accepting both cash and credit card donations. If you'd like to help, please call The Salvation Army office at 903-874-7131.
One of the biggest programs the Salvation Army operates is the food bank in Springhill. He's optimistic the campaign will be successful because of the generosity shown in past years by Cumberland County residents. "We have various locations and they just need to be in attendance at the location".
"We've been very fortunate over the years to have tremendous support from the people and the businesses of Cumberland County. We want to do everything we can to support the people of our community", she said.
- Brookfield wants to buy mall-owner GGP for $14.8 billion
- Controlling the Indo-Pacific: India, US, Japan Australia resurrect quadrilateral dialogue
- Two dead after shooting at Cousin Stizz concert; rapper issues statement
- Japan's SoftBank may secure stake in Uber
- New hijab-wearing Barbie inspired by Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad coming soon
- LDF meet entrusts CM to decide on Chandy's resignation
- Two missing Chinese students in Canada may be victims of ransom scam
- LeBron James, Cavs teammates take NY subway from shootaround
- Roman Reigns returns tonight to reform Shield for dream Survivor Series match
- Falcons' Devonta Freeman likely out for Week 11 vs. Seahawks