President Donald Trump ended his swing through Asia hailing progress in advancing his goal of reducing the USA trade deficit.
Earlier in the day, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the plight of Rohingya refugees and extra-judicial killings in the Philippines at the summit, sensitive human rights issues skirted by nearly all the others.
President Donald Trump is spending the final day of his Asia trip attending the East Asia Summit in the Philippines.
In Manila for the Asean conference, Trump looked to strengthen ties with Pacific Rim allies, aiming to strike one-on-one trade deals rather than multinational trade agreements, and increase pressure on North Korea to abandon its nuclear programme.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson would attend Tuesday's summit in his place, a senior White House official said, adding the event was running too late.
"After the November 8 National Assembly speech, South Koreans are shedding their image of Donald Trump who haphazardly sees South Korea just another faraway country he does not want to understand", he said.
"It was red carpet like nobody, I think, has probably ever received", Trump said.
Trump says he'll have more to say about trade at the White House later this week.
As they met, three US aircraft carrier strike groups were participating in a massive naval drill in the western Pacific waters as a show of force. Trump said Monday that he and Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte have a great relationship.
American president Donald Trump met with Mr Duterte yesterday, and his office reported they briefly discussed human rights and the Philippines' war on drugs.
A joint statement after the meeting said the two sides "underscored that human rights and the dignity of human life are essential, and agreed to continue mainstreaming the human rights agenda in their national programs". Mr. Trump told reporters that he and Mr. Duterte have "had a great relationship".
Duterte has been embroiled in controversies ever since he took the Philippines' presidential seat in June past year.
- Voting begins today for striking Ontario college faculty
- Meet the Lenovo Moto Tab, an interesting tablet coming soon to AT&T
- Pradyuman case: CBI denies allegations of accused's father
- Trudeau raises concerns with Duterte over bloody drug war in the Philippines
- Google Doodle Celebrating Hole Punch 131st anniversary
- Defender Andrew Robertson frustrated by start to his Liverpool career
- SoftBank: No final agreement on Uber
- Security scare at Orlando Airport prompts review
- Ardern planning 'substantive' Manus talks
- Taliban kill 27 police in security post attacks in Kandahar province