OnePlus' co-founder clarified that the company was collecting data to "better understand general phone behavior and optimize OxygenOS for a better overall user experience". This app is used by OnePlus to ensure that a device is working properly before it leaves the factory. We have confirmed it is installed on the OnePlus 3, 3T, and 5. "Using this shell command triggers the diagnostic mode (or backdoor) and grants future ADB sessions root access, even after the device is rebooted", NowSecure stated in a blog post.
The app can diagnose Global Positioning System, check the root status, perform a series of automated tests, and more.
If hackers wanted to get into your phone, they would need physical access to it, so if you have any OnePlus devices, just keep it away from any of your playful tech-savvy friends until the app is officially removed. Having root access essentially means the user has complete control over the device, including privileged control over features that would otherwise be locked up.
"If you have an OnePlus device, I'm pretty sure you have this app pre-installed".
Getting root access to a smartphone allows a hacker to access "superuser" mode, making it extremely easy to inject malware with surveillance capabilities. However, it can be exploited to enable backdoor rooting.
The inclusion of the app appears to be an oversight on the part of OnePlus, and company founder Carl Pei said the team is looking into it. He discovered that his OnePlus 2 device was sending data to an HTTPS domain, which was transmitted to Amazon Web Services and belongs to OnePlus (open.oneplus.net domain).
- Jerry Jones Not Backing Down From Challenging Goodell's Extension
- Louis CK accuser says his behaviour was 'common knowledge'
- IOS 11.2 Is Bringing Faster Wireless Charging
- Analyst Scores Summary: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Quantum Corporation (QTM)
- Equity indices close lower on global cues, macro-data
- Saudi Arabia to reopen Yemen's air and seaports within next 24 hours
- J&K: Army Jawan Martyred, Terrorist Killed in Ongoing Kulgam Encounter
- The Case for and Against Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO)
- Don't write oil's 'obituary', IEA says in long-term demand forecast
- World's Earliest Wine-Making Dates Back to 8000 Years, Experts Reveal