Boeing bested Airbus EADSY -0.33% in the competition to sell Emirates Airline, the world's largest carrier by global traffic, new twin-engine long-haul planes. Announcing the 787-10 selection, Al Maktoum described the Dreamliner as "the best option", stressing that Emirates' analysis did not focus simply on price.
The phase of slow growth for Emirates comes after a blistering expansion that has added 100 A380s and 109 777s to its fleet over the last decade.
But the tumultuous landscape has forced Emirates to adapt, retiring older planes and aligning itself with its low-priced sibling FlyDubai.
These items are present in the cabin, along with a dedicated entertainment screen and zero-gravity leather seats, which are derived from those used in NASA space travel. "They (Airbus leaders) are all here", Clark said.
"As we get more, they will appear on quite a few long haul operations, for instance Chicago, possibly Brisbane, possibly Perth", he said, according to Arabian Business.
Sunday's Boeing deal comes after Emirates in 2014 canceled an agreement with Airbus for 70 long-range A350 jets after the plane maker chose to redesign parts of the airplane.
Boeing also sold five 787s to Azerbaijan Airlines.
While a significant win for Boeing, "this is the weakest Dubai Air Show in terms of orders in many years, with only 60 orders after the first two days (2015 had 126 orders and 2013 had 552 orders)", wrote Bernstein analyst Doug Harned.
Emirates is also the world's biggest operator of the Boeing 777. A new commitment by Emirates, reportedly to be close to 40 aircraft, would drive the backlog back up to around 100 aircraft, which would be sufficient to fill the production line for more than 10 years at the low production rates now anticipated.
Passengers would see more modern and airy cabins, Clark said. How Boeing and the engine manufacturers are proposing to tackle these concerns is not clear, but Emirates' decision to place a $15.1 billion commitment at Dubai indicates that Clark is satisfied now that solutions have been identified. However, there have been no other new buyers in the past year.
- Tom Sizemore allegedly violated 11-year-old girl, removed from film set
- Ardern planning 'substantive' Manus talks
- Alleged Hardik sex video surfaces, he says not surprised
- AWS just sold some of its cloud computing infrastructure in China
- Trump calls Putin sincere, ex-US intelligence heads 'hacks'
- Philippines President Duterte accepts Modi's invite
- Bengaluru girl urges Modi to declare chronic type 1 diabetes a disability
- Voting begins today for striking Ontario college faculty
- Demi Lovato Skips A Shirt Underneath Her Suit At The MTV EMAs
- 'Sweet news' as Bengal wins GI tag for 'rosogolla'