"Cordon and search operation turns into gunfight in Nowbug Kund Qazigund of Kulgam", a police spokesman said. However, when the security forces were moving towards a particular area, the militants opened fire, they said. "The militants were asked to surrender, but they fired from automatic weapons".
In the Kulgam district of the valley, security forces on early Tuesday conducted a cordon and search operations at Nowbug Kund village in Qazigund area.
A police official said Bhat was from the volatile Palhalan area. Though some reports said Mudasir was a B Tech graduate, Pani ruled out this.
A spokesperson of the Kashmir police said, "The police, army and CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) are on the job".
Officials said the authorities have directed all cellular companies to suspend mobile internet services in entire south Kashmir to prevent spread of any rumour on social media. However, there was no response from militants.
On Monday, the security forces had shot dead two local Hizbul Mujahideen militants during a brief encounter at Zachaldara in Handwara of Kupwara district. According to a police spokesperson, "The operation turned into an encounter".
- Don't write oil's 'obituary', IEA says in long-term demand forecast
- Louis CK accuser says his behaviour was 'common knowledge'
- Campaign Raises More Than $70000 for Woman Who Flipped off Trump
- Chennai engineer set on fire by her spurned lover, dies
- EgyptAir signs letter of intent for up to 24 Bombardier CS300s
- Keller Group plc 59% Potential Upside Indicated by Liberum Capital
- Misfiring Italy fail to reach World Cup for first time since 1958
- World's Earliest Wine-Making Dates Back to 8000 Years, Experts Reveal
- Saudi Arabia to reopen Yemen's air and seaports within next 24 hours
- Tesco Booker deal gets provisional green light from CMA