A number of identical holes punched out from construction paper are across the floor as part of the Google logo.
While not quite as indispensable as the stapler, the hole puncher has been a staple of business offices for more than a century.
There are now dozens of iterations of the hole puncher, including the common two-hole punch, the drill punch and even industrial-sized punches for putting holes in sheets of metal. It challenges whether our grip or downward force is strong enough to puncture the stack, pushing out a neat cylinder of future confetti - or whether we had to reduce the load, like a dejected weightlifter.
The inventor founded the Soennecken company, an office supplier.
The hole puncher was invented by German entrepreneur Friedrich Soennecken who also invented the ring binder, CNET reported.
To celebrate the humble invention, Google, more specifically Gerben Steenks, has come up with an animated Doodle depicting a piece of paper that spring alive and starts to dance when the hole puncher does what it does best.
Google often designs its homepage with wonderful doodles that marks a particular day of the year, special birthdays and other major events like World Cup. The blue sheet then proceeds to do a little jig.
Meanwhile, single-hole punchers have been used by train conductors for decades as an easy way to validate tickets.
The hole puncher has been described as an understated but essential artifact of German engineering, which has remained unchanged over the years, according to the Google Blog Post. On a larger scale, it is also used in the printing industry to punch hundreds of sheets of paper.
- Meet the Lenovo Moto Tab, an interesting tablet coming soon to AT&T
- Alleged Hardik sex video surfaces, he says not surprised
- Emerging after shock resignation, Lebanon's Hariri says he will return 'soon'
- Judges bribery case: SC reserves order on maintainability of plea
- Museveni and Sudan's Bashir discuss trade, diplomatic relations
- Air pollution: Arvind Kejriwal to meet Manohar Lal Khattar in Chandigarh
- Pradyuman case: CBI denies allegations of accused's father
- Taliban kill 27 police in security post attacks in Kandahar province
- Happy Children's Day: Images, Quotes and Speech
- Facebook and Messenger will now share the same Stories