The index had a fall of 281 points yesterday.
"Markets ended sharply lower on Monday as the Nifty broke the 10,254 support".
The market switched direction many times today as the Sensex fell into the loss zone, unnerved by a rise in both CPI and WPI inflation. "The Nifty hit its lowest level in nearly three weeks", Jasani added.
Weakness rubbed off on broader markets, with mid-cap and small-cap indices falling by up to 0.22 per cent.
The Indian rupee, which opened at 65.36 a dollar, was trading at 65.51 around 4.40 pm. Inflation at the wholesale level rose to 6-month high of 3.59 per cent in October as the prices of food articles, led by onions and vegetables, rose sharply.
Vinod Nair, Head of Research, Geojit Financial Services, said: "Domestic investors turned cautious giving more weight to slow down in IIP to 3.8 per cent, geopolitical tensions in Middle East and continued advancement in crude prices".
In addition, data released on Monday revealed that the consumer price index (CPI) inflation for October rose to 3.58 per cent from 3.28 per cent in September.
All the sub-indices of the BSE ended in the red except the IT index, which closed up 19.80 points.
- Don't write oil's 'obituary', IEA says in long-term demand forecast
- EgyptAir signs letter of intent for up to 24 Bombardier CS300s
- Misfiring Italy fail to reach World Cup for first time since 1958
- Saif Ali Khan Gifts Son Taimur A Expensive Car On Children's Day!
- Analyst Scores Summary: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Quantum Corporation (QTM)
- Home Depot (NYSE:HD) Experiences Heavy Trading Volume
- So Oscar De La Hoya Wants to Fight Conor McGregor?
- MCL injury to sideline Aaron Jones 3-6 weeks
- Meghan Markle officially won't be returning to 'Suits'
- Israel raises security alert after threats to Islamic Jihad