The onus of bearing the loss of the audacious robbery at Bank of Baroda's Juinagar branch in Navi Mumbai on the outskirts of India's financial capital is set to fall on the 30-odd customers whose lockers were prised open by the robbers.
The robbery took place at Bank of Baroda's branch in Juninagar area of neighbouring Navi Mumbai between Saturday and Sunday.
Officials at Bank of Baroda's branch came in to work on Monday and found the broken lockers and a gaping hole under them, police said.
The robbers had rented out an adjoining shop outside the bank's store room in May 2017.
Tushar Doshi, deputy commissioner of police (crime), said, "It is impossible to dig a tunnel that ends exactly under the locker room without having an idea about the bank's structure". A 40-foot-long tunnel is suspected to have been dug by the accused."We have got clues about the accused and our teams are working on them", Assistant police inspector (Turbhe division) Mr , As Reported By Hindu.
The police told the BBC that cash and jewellery were stolen but the value of the haul is yet to be determined.
Bank officials called the locker owners to the bank, and the police have been recording their statements.
The bank has closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, but none inside the locker room. A horizontal tunnel of around 30 feet with a height of around four-and-a-half feet was dug to a spot under the bank locker room. "I came to keep a mangalsutra in the bank, and found that my locker was broken into".
Mr. Patil said, "As of now, we have spoken to around five customers, who have lost valuables worth around Rs. 7 lakh".
However, a complaint was registered with Sanpada police station in Navi Mumbai.
- IOS 11.2 Is Bringing Faster Wireless Charging
- Saudi Arabia to reopen Yemen's air and seaports within next 24 hours
- Keller Group plc 59% Potential Upside Indicated by Liberum Capital
- Home Depot (NYSE:HD) Experiences Heavy Trading Volume
- Saif Ali Khan Gifts Son Taimur A Expensive Car On Children's Day!
- Venezuela in selective default, says credit ratings agency
- Analyst Scores Summary: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Quantum Corporation (QTM)
- Don't write oil's 'obituary', IEA says in long-term demand forecast
- World's Earliest Wine-Making Dates Back to 8000 Years, Experts Reveal
- Blue House: South Korea to hold summit with China on Saturday