Fry added: "If you are watching or listening, Mick, I owe you a beer".
Mr Fry told the Today show he was out surfing with three friends when he felt a "massive thud".
Dr Fry said he managed to "scramble back on my board, shout at my friends and luckily a wave came, so I just sort of surfed the wave in".
Fry said he learned the technique from professional surfer Mick Fanning.
The 36-year-old was temporarily pulled underwater as the thrashing apex predator turned on him in the notoriously sharky waters of Eastern Cape. "I've just gotten here and I've already been attacked".
He is quoted as saying: "I saw its jaw and teeth coming at me". I punched it in the back'.
'It was a nervous swim in.
"It was just pure adrenaline, I genuinely thought I was going to die, like "you're about to be eaten alive by a shark", so everything slowed down, like 'get on your board and surf'".
'It was very hectic, very very hectic'.
The shark left scratches and a small puncture wound on Mr Fry's arm.
He was driven to a nearby hospital by his companions instead.
"It was terrifying but it only lasted five seconds", he told the Daily Telegraph.
Mr Fry received treatment in hospital and has since been discharged.
The beach was closed on Tuesday.
There have been 16 shark encounters and attacks off the island continent's vast coastline this year, including the death of a 17-year-old girl mauled in full view of her parents in Western Australia.
A 10-foot shark was later spotted by a rescue helicopter service near the site of the attack.
- First full 'Wolfenstein II' DLC arrives on December 14th
- Korea joint exercise in Sea of Japan gets underway
- Five Big Ten Men's Soccer Teams Earn Bids to 2017 NCAA Tournament
- Red Sox Player Has Perfect Game In World Series
- Supreme Court to Review California Reproductive FACT Act
- BharatNet 2: Central government will sign MoUs with the states
- DC Comics Editor Eddie Berganza Fired After Sexual Harassment Claims
- Lambie to quit parliament over citizenship
- Los Angeles Dodgers' Cody Bellinger named NL Rookie of the Year
- Gas prices higher than a year ago as holiday season approaches