Law enforcement has not said whether or not this shooting is related to the "serial killer" who police believe is responsible for the deaths of three people last month.
Tampa Police Department spokesperson Steve Hegarty said that police officers were patrolling in Seminole Heights on Tuesday morning when a 911 call was received at 4:51 a.m. about shots fired. When they arrived on scene, they found a deceased adult male in the street.
The victim was identified as Ronald Felton, 60, who was crossing the street when a tall, thin man wearing a black baseball cap shot him in the back.
"We will hunt this person down until we find them", Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn said during a press conference Tuesday morning.
Police in October released a clip requesting tips from the public and later in the month shared additional footage they believe shows the suspect near the scene of Mitchell's murder. Police want residents to stay inside their homes. Forensic evidence is also still being collected.
Avoid this area of SE #SeminoleHeights this AM because of shooting.
Tampa police have asked Seminole Heights residents to hunker down in their homes while they searched for the killer, the Bradenton Herald reported.
This comes just weeks after three people were shot and killed over a 10-day span in Seminole Heights.
Police have said they think a single killer is behind those three attacks because they happened so close to each other at roughly the same time in the evening, and without any obvious motive. They are asking residents to examine video from any security cameras they have. All three victims, 22-year-old Benjamin Mitchell, 32-year-old Monica Hoffa and 20-year-old Anthony Naiboa were found within one mile of each other.
Since the October murders, officers have gone door-to-door, making sure they don't miss any information or clues that could lead to the arrest of the shooter.
Police said so far they've gotten about 300 tips.
Police are investigating what they are calling a suspicious death.
- Jio offers 100GB of additional data to Oppo phone users
- Dimitrov marks debut with narrow victory over Thiem
- Tom Sizemore allegedly violated 11-year-old girl, removed from film set
- Pradyuman case: CBI denies allegations of accused's father
- Alleged Hardik sex video surfaces, he says not surprised
- Google Doodle Celebrating Hole Punch 131st anniversary
- Air pollution: Arvind Kejriwal to meet Manohar Lal Khattar in Chandigarh
- Philippines President Duterte accepts Modi's invite
- Demi Lovato Skips A Shirt Underneath Her Suit At The MTV EMAs
- NOAA's next-generation weather satellite JPSS-1 set to launch Tuesday