We took to the streets to ask football fans what they thought of Italy's chances, and while some were hopeful that the Italian team could make it through, others had their doubts.
Those fears proved well-founded in the first leg in Stockholm, where Italy went down to a 61st-minute deflected strike from Jakob Johansson.
Sweden won the first leg of the matchup with a 1-0 victory on Friday. "I don't know what sort of game it will be but I hope it will be played in the correct spirit".
Four times Football World Cup champion Italy risks being out of the World Cup qualifiers and hence missing the bus to Russian Federation in 2018.
Sweden came in second place in the 1958 World Cup.
Keeping a clean sheet, then, could be central to Italian hopes of qualification and Betfair Sportsbook go just 4/6 (1.67) that Sweden fail to find the net, while the same firm go even money (2.0) that Ventura's men win without conceding; Betfair Sportsbook go 7/5 (2.40) that the Azzurri win by at least two clear goals in this game. "The only thing that I would have would be a personal satisfaction, but in the wider scheme of things, I am irrelevant".
"It's a crucial game for us, for the whole country and for the whole history of our national team as well, ' said Buffon".
He added: "We want to send Italians a message not with words, but with action on the pitch".
"In my career, I already faced moments like this one, sometimes it went good, sometimes it went bad".
The winners of the Italy-Sweden tie will join Switzerland and Croatia as qualifying for Russian Federation 2018 via the European play-offs.
Marco Verratti will be suspended for Monday's game with defender Leonardo Bonucci wearing a protective mask after breaking his nose in a bruising first leg against Sweden.
- LDF meet entrusts CM to decide on Chandy's resignation
- Bill Gates pledges $50M for Alzheimer's disease fund
- Japan's SoftBank may secure stake in Uber
- Biden unsure if 2020 run 'appropriate thing for me to do'
- October CPI touched a 7-month high of 3.58%
- Liverpool Could Leave Final Decision on Philippe Coutinho Future to Jurgen Klopp
- Missouri AG launches Google antitrust probe
- MS Dhoni responds to criticism seeking his ouster from India's T20 team
- European Union signs landmark new defence pact
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Loot Crates Guide