Speaking on the claims of sexual assault against Spacey, he added: "The situation is very sad, because he's such a talented guy".
Plummer's response, which would probably spark Twitter backlash if people weren't so busy debating Colin Kaepernick's GQ Citizen of the Year honor, comes just about a month after filmmaker Woody Allen found himself in hot water for using the same term, "sad," to describe the onslaught of allegations against Harvey Weinstein. "He's very good, and I love the script".
Despite the work needed to replace Spacey with Plummer throughout the film, it is still expected to make its December 22 theatrical premiere.
The 87-year-old actor said that reshooting the film was like "starting all over again". "At one point we were discussing doing it in the early days", Plummer said.
"I was in contention for [the part of J. Paul Getty] way before, so I was familiar with it".
Actor Christopher Plummer (L) is pictured arriving at the 2016 Canadian Screen Awards in Toronto, Ontario March 13, 2016, and Kevin Spacey (R) is pictured at the 71st Tony Awards in New York City, U.S., June 11, 2017 in this combination of file photos. "And that's all I can say because that's it". So they took control of the situation and made a decision to re-shoot all the key scenes involving J. Paul Getty, an oil tycoon who refused to pay a ransom after his grandson was kidnapped by an organized crime group. "I admire Ridley very much", Plummer explained to a gaggle of journalists when he was asked how he became involved. I am very saddened by what happened to Kevin. The move followed allegations that the actor made sexual advances toward several minors in the past, including Broadway's Anthony Rapp. I've got a role. The script was wonderful.
Yesterday, Plummer spoke exclusively to Vanity Fair about taking over the lead role in the project. He also used the opportunity to open up about his sexuality, saying "I choose now to live as a gay man".
Eight current and former employees of the Netflix TV show "House of Cards", who were not identified, also have accused Spacey, the star of the show, of sexual misconduct, CNN has reported.
- European Union signs landmark new defence pact
- Brookfield wants to buy mall-owner GGP for $14.8 billion
- U.S. hate crimes rose during fierce 2016 election, Federal Bureau of Investigation stats show
- Slain Green Beret Melgar Murdered After Discovery of SEAL Embezzlement
- Biden unsure if 2020 run 'appropriate thing for me to do'
- Trump asked Chinese president for help over arrested UCLA basketball players
- Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman claims Larry Nassar sexually abused her
- MS Dhoni responds to criticism seeking his ouster from India's T20 team
- LeBron James, Cavs teammates take NY subway from shootaround
- Trump urges lawmakers to end health mandate, cut top tax rate