Crystal Palace continue to struggle this term and they need a boost - one that Ruben Loftus-Cheek's form could provide.
Against the world champions, 21-year-old Ruben Loftus-Cheek caught the eye of many, impressing from midfield on his global debut.
The 21-year-old shone in an attacking midfield role on his debut, with his strength pace and skill suddenly giving Southgate another interesting option as he continues to build his squad for the World Cup in Russian Federation next summer.
The Chelsea midfielder is now enjoying first-team football away from Stamford Bridge at Crystal Palace. It was a bit end-to-end, but I thought we showed real composure with the ball throughout the team. I don't think the wider public may be as aware of him - you would have to follow very closely - but we believe in him and believe in the others we played.
"When you see his physical size, you think you'll also see a certain type of player".
Loftus-Cheek is convinced Palace will improve once Christian Benteke is back fully fit.
Despite Palace languishing at the bottom of the standings, the youngster has impressed and ended up earning a call up to the England national team for friendlies against Germany and Brazil. I think it's a bit of a no-brainer.
"It was just a straightforward goalkeeping drill, nothing out of the ordinary and just caught his finger awkwardly", Southgate said, having confirmed England Under-21s goalkeeper Angus Gunn will join the seniors for the first time.
"They don't have a game and for them to be involved with a game against Brazil will be a brilliant experience for them".
"Going out and playing this season has helped him".
- Korean president arrives in Philippines for ASEAN meetings
- Vodafone, Idea Cellular sell towers to ATC for INR 78.5 billion
- North Korea says Trump 'begged for a war' during his Asia trip
- Zverev beats Cilic in impressive ATP Finals debut
- Roy Moore: Allegations are 'desperate attempt to stop my political campaign'
- Stabbing at Mall of America, suspect arrested
- Felipe Massa: Brazil send-off felt like a win
- NASCAR at Phoenix 2017 Results: Matt Kenseth Wins, Brad Keselowski Advances
- Refocused: Jacksonville Jaguars 20, Los Angeles Chargers 17
- Steelers beat Colts on last-second field goal