Indiana State Police say a firefighter is facing charges after he struck and killed a responding volunteer firefighter Friday. They say it happened on Old Highway 50, west of County Road 800 East. ISP says in addition to County Sheriff's deputies, three firefighters from the Montgomery and Cannelburg Fire Departments responded to the scene.
Firefighters were on scene to help a driver who was trapped in a vehicle that crashed.
Blake was uninjured in the wreck and a preliminary investigation found he was operating his vehicle with a blood-alcohol level of.21 percent - well above twice the legal limit.
Police say a fourth firefighter responded to the scene later identified as 26-year-old Colby Blake.
Blake's truck continued to travel east, before it hit a 2013 Ford Fusion, driven by 27-year-old Kendall Murphy of Montgomery, according to police.
Blake would eventually stop but only after he hit a third firefighter's vehicle, according to police. According to police, the three firefighters came to the scene in their own personal vehicles.
News of Murphy's death struck the two towns, who officials say are very close with each other.
Murphy suffered numerous injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
He is now being held in the Daviess County Security Center.
According to authorities, Blake was not injured in the crash.
"I think this is the first time we've lost a first responder in our county; first that I know of", said Allison.
Kendall Murphy, the firefighter, had been standing next to a auto when he was hit.
- San Diego Stairwell Collapse Injures 21 Children In Barrio Logan Gym
- Can Auburn finally beat Georgia?
- Venus-Jupiter conjunction: How and where to watch the planetary event
- RSS worker killed in Guruvayur, Kerala
- Tiffany Haddish Gives Hollywood Men Some Advice in 'SNL' Monologue
- Actress Ellen Page accuses director Brett Ratner of making homophobic comments
- APEC summit: Trump praises India's "astounding" economic growth since liberalization
- Congress wins Chitrakoot by-election, defeats BJP by over 14000 votes
- 'Several' killed after USA airstrike on Al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- Former CIA Director Says Trump Is Being "Played" by Putin