It will be the first All-Star Game played in Chicago since 1988 and the first time it's ever been held at the United Center.
Chicago first hosted All-Star Weekend in 1973.
The big difference between then and now, Silver said, is the game has become part of a series of week-long events.
"Of course, it had a slam dunk championship with Dominique WIlkins and Michael Jordan, that people are still talking about today, and a fantastic All-Star Game as well", Silver said.
All-Star Weekend returns to Chicago.
It is just the latest in a string of high-profile sporting events to take place in Chicago in recent years. Los Angeles will host the event in 2018 and Charlotte will host in 2019, after the league found the city's partial bathroom legislation repeal to be sufficient enough.
- After security breach costs, Equifax clears Q3 with $96M profit
- Evra given season-long ban by UEFA
- Lewis Hamilton makes surprising admission ahead of Brazilian Grand Prix
- Telstar 18 revealed as official match ball for 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Loftus-Cheek 'had a vision' to leave Chelsea
- Disney Studios Announces New Trilogy of Star Wars
- Rody to ask China: Do you want control of South China Sea?
- Eminem Releases New Song "Walk on Water" Featuring Beyonce
- Jimmer Fredette, Stephon Marbury Get into Shoving Match During Game in China
- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte: I stabbed someone to death