It will be the first All-Star Game played in Chicago since 1988 and the first time it's ever been held at the United Center.
Chicago first hosted All-Star Weekend in 1973.
The big difference between then and now, Silver said, is the game has become part of a series of week-long events.
"Of course, it had a slam dunk championship with Dominique WIlkins and Michael Jordan, that people are still talking about today, and a fantastic All-Star Game as well", Silver said.
All-Star Weekend returns to Chicago.
It is just the latest in a string of high-profile sporting events to take place in Chicago in recent years. Los Angeles will host the event in 2018 and Charlotte will host in 2019, after the league found the city's partial bathroom legislation repeal to be sufficient enough.
- Lewis Hamilton makes surprising admission ahead of Brazilian Grand Prix
- DACA Students Walk Out of Class to Demand Action from Congress
- Chinese social media app Musical.ly acquired by ByteDance
- Jimmer Fredette, Stephon Marbury Get into Shoving Match During Game in China
- Rody to ask China: Do you want control of South China Sea?
- Telstar 18 revealed as official match ball for 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Ruben Navarrette Jr.: Democrats should listen to Brazile - not silence her
- Oklahoma woman who married mom sentenced in incest case
- Broadband Providers Will Pay Automatic Compensation For Service Faults
- 'Fox & Friends' Blasts Media for Ignoring Donna Brazile Who Is Literally Everywhere