It was back up again by 11 a.m.
Tuesday morning the sweatshirt went on sale, and a crush of fans looking to dress like Dustin crashed the museum's website.
The sweater in demand is a purple hoodie featuring a skeleton of a brontosaurus, which was originally released in 1986, during the museum's popular "Dinosaurs!" exhibit that drew almost twice the average number of visitors. Wilcox found the vintage sweatshirt while scouring the web for '80s inspiration.
"A social media follower tipped off the Science Museum to the sweatshirt's appearance in the hugely popular TV show on Friday, October 27th, the day its second season was released".
Looks like the non-profit Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul is going to have a bit more cash for upcoming exhibits.
The museum first sold the hoodie in their store in the early 1980s, and employees at the institution made a decision to re-introduce the item of clothing after they were inundated with calls, emails and social media requests following its appearance in Stranger Things - see the hoodie in question below.
"Stranger Things" costume designer Kim Wilcox says she found the vintage sweatshirt when searching for '80s fashion inspiration online, according to Newsweek, and decided it was the flawless fit for Dustin.
But the site's back up and more than 80,000 purple hoodies have already been sold, at $36.95 a pop.
Not just any sweatshirt, mind you, but one that name-drops the Science Museum of Minnesota (SMM).
The museum restocked their shirts and sweatshirts later that day, and reportedly sold 10,000 items by 4pm.
So how did the old Science Museum of Minnesota apparel wind up on a Netflix show? Depending on the size and style of shirt, prices range from $15 to $37.
I must admit that I have yet to watch an episode of "Stranger Things", but, based on the buzz that the Netflix show has generated, I intend to rectify that oversight quite soon.
- Industrial output grows at 3.8 per cent in September
- The Flynn boys are being investigated for an alleged kidnapping plot
- China will lift foreign ownership limits on financial market JVs - vice finmin
- Uber loses appeal over drivers' rights
- Deepika Padukone denies being a part of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's next
- Veteran's Honor Chair at Chuckchansi Park
- Roy Moore: 'Transgenders Don't Have Rights'
- Backed RT will register as 'foreign agent' in United States , go to court
- Melania Trump flies solo to visit Great Wall of China
- Logitech is offering Harmony Link owners a free Hub following backlash