The former France global was sent off on before kick-off in Marseille's November 2 Europa League match at Portugal's Vitoria Guimaraes, where he had been named as a substitute, after appearing to aim a kick at a fan at pitchside during the warm-up.
Marseille had initially suspended the player indefinitely, but shortly after UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) chose to ban Evra from playing in UEFA club competition for the rest of this season, the Ligue 1 club announced that his one-year contract had been ripped up "by mutual agreement".
Marseille initially suspended Evra while an investigation was carried out, but UEFA's decision to ban Evra from all UEFA matches until June 30 has led to the player having his contract terminated with immediate effect.
While the player's contract was not terminated straight away, his suspension meant he would not be paid and would have to stay away from the club.
"First of all for Patrice Evra, who has obviously understood all the consequences of his act and that he can no longer fulfill his passion (of playing) for Marseille", club president Jacques-Henri Eyraud said. "In addition, the player has been fined €10,000".
As well as his release from Marseille, UEFA have handed him a seven-month ban from all European competition.
"By mutual agreement, Olympique de Marseille and Patrice Evra chose to end their collaboration", said a statement on their website.
Marseille owner Frank McCourt has also condemned Evra's actions, as well as those of his club's supporters, describing the behaviour as unacceptable and intolerable.
- Industrial output grows at 3.8 per cent in September
- Telstar 18 revealed as official match ball for 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman says she was abused by Larry Nassar
- England pace bowler Ball suffers ankle injury
- Apple working on AR headset, may be ready by 2020
- Amazon Rolls Out Pop-Up Shops in Pasadena Whole Foods Stores
- United Kingdom gold jewellery demand hit by pre-Brexit jitters
- JC Penney Company Inc (JCP) How Do the Technical Vary?
- Eminem Releases New Song "Walk on Water" Featuring Beyonce
- BBC stars highlight equal pay day