Stiverne had been the only man to go the distance with Wilder, doing so in their first fight, and the one motivation for Wilder in the rematch was to knock him out.
It wasn't a fight anyone wanted, but Wilder got his revenge for the one blemish on his otherwise ideal knockout record and it should pave the way for a unification bout between Wilder and British star Anthony Joshua, something the heavyweight division desperately needs. "But he doesn't want to fight me, period".
Of course, after what Wilder did to Stiverne last night, one can at least understand why Ortiz felt he need some help from his local chemist.
Stiverne, of Canada, then slumped to the canvas and stayed motionless for some time before being helped up and into a chair where he was examined by the ring doctor at the Barclays Center arena in NY. Referee Arthur Mercante Jr. looked closely at him and then spoke to him for several seconds before asking him to walk forward and then releasing him from protective custody. "Is you up for the test?"
Talk has been rife of Wilder facing British heavyweight Anthony Joshua.
The 32-year-old was quick to get behind his spiteful and rangy jab, snapping Stiverne's head back in the first minute, waiting for the opportunity to bring his punishing right hand into play.
"Once he gets beat by Wilder, he's out".
Wilder branched out from the confines of his home state of Alabama for just the second time since winning the strap. "I declare war upon you", Wilder said with remarks aimed at Joshua.
Wilder would have preferred to face Ortiz, but Ortiz tested positive for two banned diuretics, chlorothaizide and hydrochlorothiazide, in a random urine test conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association on September 22, he was dropped from the fight. Do you accept my challenge?. "I want Joshua. If he doesn't give me the fight we have other plans".
"I am ready to go anywhere in the world". Joshua come and see me baby.
"Make a date. Let it happen!"
- PV Sindhu slams airline for rude behaviour, airline denies
- Kansas State 42, Texas Tech 35: Key moments, players and grades
- Alabama Crimson Tide vs. LSU Tigers
- Jimmy Fallon Cancels Tonight Show Due To His Mother's Health Issues
- Bournemouth score last-gasp victor at Newcastle
- Saudi Arabia Arrests 11 Princes, Including Billionaire Waleed bin Talal
- Kushner Sends Records Related to Russia Probe to Special Counsel Mueller
- Costello will start at quarterback for Stanford
- Newcastle Stunned by Late Cook Winner as Bournemouth Steal All 3 Points
- Feleipe Franks Reportedly Told Randy Shannon He's Better Than Malik Zaire