Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon will serve as interim head coach.
McElwain and Florida athletic administration remain in negotiations over terms of his buyout, according to the school.
Jim McElwain won SEC coach of the year honors in 2015. A former head coach at Miami, Shannon led the Hurricanes to a 28-22 record from 2007 to 2010.
University of Florida football coach Jim McElwain has been fired after a weird week in which he claimed death threats were being made against his coaches, players and their families, and his team was routed 42-7 by Georgia on Saturday to fall below.500 entering November for the first time since 1986.
"We want to thank Coach McElwain for his efforts in leading the Gator football program", said athletic director Scott Stricklin. After being throttled, 42-7, by No. 3 Georgia Saturday, Florida fell to 3-4 and 3-3 in SEC play. Mullen also is familiar with the pressure of coaching in the SEC and in Gainesville. "At the end of the day, we were all brought here to win, and we haven't done it", he said after the loss to the Bulldogs. He is the first coach in league history to reach the conference title game in each of his first two seasons.
Earlier this week, McElwain was the subject of criticism after he made comments about receiving death threats, and when asked to give some more details, was reportedly unable to.
McElwain was offensive coordinator at the University of Alabama under head coach Nick Saban from 2008 through 2011 before taking the head coaching position at Colorado State.
McElwain's Gators won the SEC East in each of his first two seasons in Gainesville; but his offenses never were able to find their footing.
- Patriots Hold Off Chargers 21-13 for 4th Straight Win
- WWE Releases Darren Young, Summer Rae
- Markelle Fultz out indefinitely with right shoulder injury
- Tottenham Hitman Kane Ruled Out Of Man United Clash
- Three Eagles that are key to a victory against the 49ers
- Sunscreen Snow Falling On Exoplanet Detected By Hubble Space Telescope
- Most Texans players join 11 Seahawks in protest
- Falcons vs Jets Week 8 Game Recap
- White House opposed vote on Israel 'annexation' bill
- Real Madrid beaten in Girona amid Catalan crisis