The West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety said jail staff did not discover he was missing until 7 p.m. Thursday.
Todd Wayne Boyes was stopped as he tried to cross the Rio Grande from Laredo, Tx., authorities said..
It wasn't until 12:40 a.m. Friday that jail staff finally noticed the inmate was gone.
"After a medical evaluation, Boyes was taken to the Webb County Jail, according to the information provided to our state police", Messina said.
Three formal, end-of-shift head counts failed to alert jail staff to Boyes' disappearance, as did two informal, overnight counts.
During the resulting investigation, a review of the facility's security video yielded footage of Boyes leaving the facility the previous morning. What is even more puzzling to Virginia police, is that the inmate was discovered missing 36 hours later, giving him a comfortable head start.
Boyes was scheduled to be sentenced to three to 20 years in prison Friday morning for fleeing and possession of a stolen auto, according to WCHS-TV.
Previously, in Ohio, Boyes had a history of carjacking people at gunpoint, said Sgt. Leslie T. Goldie, a spokesman for the West Virginia State Police.
West Virginia State Police say Boyes escaped from South Central Regional Jail at 1001 Centre Way in Charleston about 5:48 A.M. Wednesday. He was shot in the hand by Charleston police before being arrested.
Boyes pleaded guilty September 27 to having a stolen vehicle, running from police and causing bodily injury.
It is still unclear how Boyes managed to escape the attention of jail staff immediately after the first headcount was conducted, which begs the question, was proper headcount protocol observed?
"As the investigation remains ongoing, further comment is not expected at this time", Messina said.
The 44-year-old walked out of South Central Regional Jail in Charleston, W. Va., on Wednesday.
- Ole Miss Drops Heartbreaker to the Razorbacks
- Florida State skid continues, Seminoles suffer crushing loss at Boston College
- No. 9 Notre Dame stays hot, blasts No. 14 NC State
- Saudi Arabia gives citizenship to a robot, claims global first
- 'White Lives Matter' rallies held in Tennessee, counter protests underway
- Clariant, Huntsman abandon $20 bln merger as opposition intensifies
- Federation Internationale de Football Association U-17 WC: Bronze for Brazil
- Nine sailors high on cocaine while serving on Navy submarine sacked
- Wenger gives update on Kolasinac's injury after Swansea win
- NM senators oppose proposal to increase national park fees