When the forces were conducting searches, the terrorists opened fire on them, triggering a a fierce encounter, said the police official.
As per the police officials, the security forces were cordoning off the area following intelligence input about the presence of terrorists in Mir Mohalla village in Hajin area of the district when militants opened fire on them.
Indian police and troops have resorted to using force to disperse the protesters, as clashes between the demonstrators and the forces' personnel continued till the filing of the report.
The police official said that one of the slain terrorist has been identified as Ali Bhai, a LeT terrorist from Pakistan.
Constable Zahir Abbas of the J&K Police was killed while an Army soldier sustained minor injuries in the gun battle, he said. The Ikhwan was responsible for wiping out extremism in the mid-1990s as a sizeable militants surrendered before the Army to join the group.
However, in a new twist to the situation, the area has become a safe haven for LeT extremists who receive considerable support from the local population. A few days ago, top Jaish-e-Mohammed militant Khalid was killed by the security forces in Baramulla district following a tip-off.
- WWE Releases Darren Young, Summer Rae
- Caitlyn Jenner Fulfills 'Fantasy' Of Walking On The Beach In 'Authentic Self'
- Caroline Wozniacki stands firm to claim WTA Finals title
- Vettel takes pole at Mexican GP as Hamilton settles for P3
- Sharif brothers to meet in London
- Journalist fraternity backs Vinod Verma, demands evidence from police
- Dave Martinez Reportedly Named Nationals Manager, Agrees to 3-Year Contract
- UP minister's convoy kills child; CM Yogi announces Rs 5 lakh compensation
- Real Madrid beaten in Girona amid Catalan crisis
- Iraqi Kurds' Independence Dreams Dashed as President Steps Down