"Aurel Bacs, the Senior Consultant, Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo has dubbed the watch the "'Adam and Eve' of the watch collecting world".
One of the world's most legendary and sought after of all mechanical wristwatches, this timepiece is the only "exotic"-dialed Daytona that Mr. Newman owned, inspiring the legendary nickname for the most prestigious versions of Rolex's Daytona".
It was bought by an anonymous telephone bidder and took just 12 minutes to sell.
A Rolex that once belonged to Paul Newman became the most expensive wristwatch ever sold in an auction as it fetched $17.8 million Thursday night in NY.
"Paul asked me what time it was, to set his watch".
Newman gave the watch to a James Cox, a former boyfriend of his daughter Nell in the 1980s. It was a gift from his wife, Joanne Woodward, who engraved it, "Drive Carefully, Me". The Phillips auction house explains it very clearly, especially the part about how the watch seemingly disappeared in 1984 before popping up again decades later. Earlier this year, Cox made a decision to auction off the watch, giving a large portion of the proceeds to the Nell Newman Foundation, which focuses on environmental issues. "If you wind it, it tells pretty good time".
Officially called the Rolex Oyster Cosmograph Daytona, the watch was renamed after Newman wore it in 1980.
The price eclipsed the previous record for a Rolex of $5 million paid for a reference 6062 "Bao Dai" Rolex earlier this year.
Is the watch worth a whopping US$17 million (after buyer's premium)?
The most expensive wristwatch ever sold until yesterday was a Patek Philippe ref. 1518 timepiece, which Phillips sold for $11m.
- BJP demands George's ouster yet again
- Afternoon heart surgery 'is 50% more successful'
- Liverpool ace Philippe Coutinho ruled out of Huddersfield clash with injury
- This is the most powerful passport in the world right now
- Pune ODI: Unchanged Kiwis elect to bat; Axar replaces Kuldeep
- Sacked Ronald Koeman had 'Olivier Giroud in building' at Everton
- WhatsApp will allow you to delete sent messages. Here's how it'll work
- Padmavati: Sanjay Leela Bhansali's magnum opus to release in 3D
- Fernando Alonso to fulfill Daytona 24 Hours ambition
- Facebook's Workplace Chat app now available for Windows users