The 13-year-old then fired an arrow with his crossbow that entered Austin's midsection, traveled through his body, and exited on the other side.
Austin was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 13-year-old is accused of shooting the boy and his younger brother with a crossbow while playing in the woods. A witness tells News 9 that Austin's younger brother, 8-year-old Ayden, sat nearby with an arrow lodged in his shoulder.
"Ten-year-old Austin's not dead because of an accident", Dougherty said, according to NewsOK. "He's dead because of an action that took place, so until something steers us in another direction we're going to work it as a homicide".
Ayden has been released from the hospital and is expected to be okay.
Dougherty said the boys were friends who often played together in the treehouse near a vacant lot in the neighborhood.
KOCO reported that Dougherty announced that police are investigating the case as a homicide.
A crossbow shooting left an Oklahoma kid dead and his brother injured.
The suspect is now being held at a juvenile center.
According to People, the sheriff's office has handed over its findings from its investigation to the Lincoln County District Attorney's Office, which will decide whether to send the evidence to a grand jury for an indictment. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them", Superintendent Bob Gragg said. "We're just a small school, a small community and it hits hard just like it would in any family".
- City watchdog investigates huge Equifax data breach
- NI abortion law 'inhuman and degrading'
- Hudson's Bay selling Lord & Taylor 5th Ave building for US$850m
- Pliskova beats Muguruza to win White Group, Ostapenko eliminated
- Swansea vs. Manchester United 2017 live stream
- HDFC Bank Q2 net grows 20% to Rs 41.51 bn
- Family of fallen soldier gets $25K check from Trump
- House Committee Launches Investigation Into US, Russia Uranium Deal Struck Under Obama
- Dasukigate: Jonathan to stand as Metuh's witness
- Russian Federation vetoes extension of mission probing chemical weapons use in Syria